Did you select the verify written data, could just be a bad burn. Useing a slower speed helps.
I know, I know - read the FAQ. But the Documentation server seems to be down, and I'm impatient. Bear with me, please.
I am a SUSE 9.1 user. I downloaded the K3.7 iso, checked the md5sum and burned the iso to a fresh CD using K3b, successfully. But the CD won't boot. I have a store bought Knoppix 3.3 CD that boots with no problem.
Should simply burning the iso onto a CD result in a bootable CD? If not, what is the missing link?
See, now that wasn't too bad, and I'll be eternally grateful for a nudge in the right direction.
Dave
Did you select the verify written data, could just be a bad burn. Useing a slower speed helps.
And did you select "Tools > CD > Burn CD Image..." from within K3b?
Didn't verify, so I will try again and at a lower speed. I just hit the 'burn' button, but I'll also try doing it from the 'Tools' menu. Thanks for the ideas, guys. I assume from your replies that burning the iso should result in a bootable CD.
Dave
Ive got the exact same problem dayer7s, it just doesnt seem to boot. Tried changing the boot sequence through the BIOS, that didnt work. I dl'ed the Smart Boot Manager .exe, and put in onto a floppy, and when I restarted I got a Non-System Disk error.Originally Posted by dayers7
What is 'checking the md5sum'?
Yes, I am a total n00b.
![]()
It is a way of making sure the ISO image that you downloaded is not corrupt. http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Download...O_CD_images.3FOriginally Posted by Weetabix
Thanks Underscore![]()
I have the exact same problem and posted this under MS Windows support on the forum.
I burnt the 3.6 ISO onto a CD and changed the boot sequence. But Knoppix just wont fire up. The MD5 check indicated that all was good. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Downloading_FAQOriginally Posted by balak
I finally got a bootable CD of Knoppix v-3.7. I followed the suggestion of starting the burn from the K3b 'tools' menu and slowing the speed from 4X to 2X. I had it verify the burn. For the record,
Tools/CD/Data CD burn
Speed = 2X (not auto)
Verify
command: cdrecord -v gracetime=2 dev=/dev/hdd speed=2 -tao -overburn -data ~/KNOPPIX ... EN.iso
I'm running SUSE 9.1 and using an Iomega ZipCD 4x650.
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm guessing that slowing it down did the trick. It was good to hear that bugle!
Dave

LSI 9305-16i SATA SAS 12Gbs Controller card PCIe 3.0 IT-Mode w/SAS SATA cable US
$76.98
Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003
$639.69
G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only
$200.00
HP controller P3410-69003 NetRAID-1M SCSI 64-bit U160 32MB Cache (PCI)
$359.00
Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99
OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad 4 Bay RAID Storage Enclosure USB 3.1 Gen 2 No Drives
$149.95
LSI 9260-8i 512MB SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller Card US
$29.88
MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00
$1619.30
Serial ATA two-port SATA PCI card (SiI3112 sil3112 chipset)
$18.99
Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board
$175.00