Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 26

Thread: Yet another can't boot from CD

  1. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    6
    well, I finally got a bootable CD (cut burn speed to 4x) that works well on one laptop (a 1.6GHz processor with 512MB RAM) but it stalls on another laptop (512MHz - I know I know I need to upgrade; with 128MB RAM) when it tries to detect the CD. Any thoughts?

  2. #12
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by balak
    Any thoughts?
    Just a guess, but sounds like you might need to find the right combination of cheat codes to get it to boot right. Try entering at the boot prompt:knoppix noscsi acpi=off, if that doesn't work try knoppix nodma and if that doesn't work try various combinations of noscsi, nodma and acpi=off, or hit f3 at boot time and look over the partial list of codes there for anything else that looks like it might help. Unfortunately I know of no good way to predict what codes you'll need (if that is even the problem) other than trial and error.

  3. #13
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    536
    failsafe should get you there.

  4. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    Quote Originally Posted by balak
    Any thoughts?
    Just a guess, but sounds like you might need to find the right combination of cheat codes to get it to boot right. Try entering at the boot prompt:knoppix noscsi acpi=off, if that doesn't work try knoppix nodma and if that doesn't work try various combinations of noscsi, nodma and acpi=off, or hit f3 at boot time and look over the partial list of codes there for anything else that looks like it might help. Unfortunately I know of no good way to predict what codes you'll need (if that is even the problem) other than trial and error.
    Thanks Harry. Will give it a try now.

  5. #15
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    knoppix noscsi atapicd
    or
    knoppix26 noscsi atapicd
    would be other candidates.

  6. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    6
    yipeeeeeeeeee!!!! knoppix nodma worked!!!! I have knoppix running on my laptop!!! Thanks Harry and everyone else for helping out. Given I am a newbie you will see me around more, bothering you with trivial questions! But, it feels great to have gotten to this first step.

  7. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    7

    on going "cant boot cd"

    I managed to get SBM working, and tried booting from the cd drive, but now get a 'cant find DOS'

  8. #18
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    WHAT?? how exactly did you burn that CD? as a bootable?
    it should be burnt as a IMAGE, NOT bootable. the iso already has the bootstuff in it.
    more here
    http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/dis...ing_howto.php3

  9. #19
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by OErjan
    WHAT?? how exactly did you burn that CD? as a bootable?
    it should be burnt as a IMAGE, NOT bootable. the iso already has the bootstuff in it.
    more here
    http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/dis...ing_howto.php3
    I probably didn't say it right. When I said I have a bootable CD, I meant, I can now boot my machine off the CD.

    I used Roxio to burn my CD and in the first attempt I basically copied the ISO to the CD. I chose to create a data CD and added the ISO file to the CD and hit burn (as instructed on a few of sites). I thought the ISO will be extracted at burn-time. I learnt the hard way that it doesn't. And 2 CDs later (lesson I learnt: When someone says use RW CDs, they have a reason, so listen! ), I found the "Create CD from image" option and finally had my CD.

    Thanks for the link - makes interesting reading.

  10. #20
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    sorry, i was reacting to Weetabix
    booting from the cd drive, but now get a 'cant find DOS' Confused
    only way i can think of is that he got a failed "bootableCD" burn with nero (Nero uses drdos for bootable cd's).
    i am not angry, mad, anoyed... just surprised.
    hope things go well for you all.
    and sorry if i have made someone mad/sad/hurt...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$269.10



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.47



LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s picture

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s

$39.80



New Samsung FIT Plus 64GB USB 3.1 Flash Drive MUF-64AB/AM picture

New Samsung FIT Plus 64GB USB 3.1 Flash Drive MUF-64AB/AM

$34.95



2 PC Office 2021 Pro replacement drive USB lifetime version picture

2 PC Office 2021 Pro replacement drive USB lifetime version

$55.00



Wholesale Sale 10/ 30/ 50/100pcs 256MB Metal Swivel USB Flash Drive Memory Stick picture

Wholesale Sale 10/ 30/ 50/100pcs 256MB Metal Swivel USB Flash Drive Memory Stick

$165.90