-
well, I finally got a bootable CD (cut burn speed to 4x) that works well on one laptop (a 1.6GHz processor with 512MB RAM) but it stalls on another laptop (512MHz - I know I know I need to upgrade; with 128MB RAM) when it tries to detect the CD. Any thoughts?
-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
balak
Any thoughts?
Just a guess, but sounds like you might need to find the right combination of cheat codes to get it to boot right. Try entering at the boot prompt:knoppix noscsi acpi=off, if that doesn't work try knoppix nodma and if that doesn't work try various combinations of noscsi, nodma and acpi=off, or hit f3 at boot time and look over the partial list of codes there for anything else that looks like it might help. Unfortunately I know of no good way to predict what codes you'll need (if that is even the problem) other than trial and error.
-
Senior Member
registered user
failsafe should get you there.
-

Originally Posted by
Harry Kuhman

Originally Posted by
balak
Any thoughts?
Just a guess, but sounds like you might need to find the right combination of cheat codes to get it to boot right. Try entering at the boot prompt:
knoppix noscsi acpi=off, if that doesn't work try
knoppix nodma and if that doesn't work try various combinations of noscsi, nodma and acpi=off, or hit f3 at boot time and look over the partial list of codes there for anything else that looks like it might help. Unfortunately I know of no good way to predict what codes you'll need (
if that is even the problem) other than trial and error.
Thanks Harry. Will give it a try now.
-
Senior Member
registered user
knoppix noscsi atapicd
or
knoppix26 noscsi atapicd
would be other candidates.
-
yipeeeeeeeeee!!!! knoppix nodma worked!!!! I have knoppix running on my laptop!!! Thanks Harry and everyone else for helping out. Given I am a newbie you will see me around more, bothering you with trivial questions! But, it feels great to have gotten to this first step.
-
on going "cant boot cd"
I managed to get SBM working, and tried booting from the cd drive, but now get a 'cant find DOS'
-
Senior Member
registered user
WHAT?? how exactly did you burn that CD? as a bootable?
it should be burnt as a IMAGE, NOT bootable. the iso already has the bootstuff in it.
more here
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/dis...ing_howto.php3
-

Originally Posted by
OErjan
I probably didn't say it right. When I said I have a bootable CD, I meant, I can now boot my machine off the CD.
I used Roxio to burn my CD and in the first attempt I basically copied the ISO to the CD. I chose to create a data CD and added the ISO file to the CD and hit burn (as instructed on a few of sites). I thought the ISO will be extracted at burn-time. I learnt the hard way that it doesn't. And 2 CDs later (lesson I learnt: When someone says use RW CDs, they have a reason, so listen!
), I found the "Create CD from image" option and finally had my CD.
Thanks for the link - makes interesting reading.
-
Senior Member
registered user
sorry, i was reacting to Weetabix
booting from the cd drive, but now get a 'cant find DOS' Confused
only way i can think of is that he got a failed "bootableCD" burn with nero (Nero uses drdos for bootable cd's).
i am not angry, mad, anoyed... just surprised.
hope things go well for you all.
and sorry if i have made someone mad/sad/hurt...
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT500MX500SSD1
$53.99

SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE
$214.99

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive
$39.99

Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5" SSD
$23.00

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$549.00

SAMSUNG SSD 512GB 500GB 480GB 256GB 250GB 240GB SSD 2.5 Solide State Drive 6Gbps
$37.99

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$129.99

Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health
$24.00

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB 2.5" SATA III SSD MZ-76E500 SSD Excellent Health wiped
$54.99

KIOXIA KBG6AZNV512G 512GB M.2 NVMe SSD — TESTED & READY TO USE
$58.99