Hi,
I had a corrupt partition table -> please refer to this post -> http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15500
I post it again here for your convenience....
During this problem, my partiotions in /dev/hdc were hdc1 hdc5 hdc6 This always caused errors as mentioned in the post above.Hello,
I know there are hundrteds of questions about fixing the partition table. But mine, i suppose is a peculiar case. My disk structure is something like this:
1) Disk 1 - 10GB /dev/hda (partitioned into C:, ext3 for ubuntu hdinstall, lin-swap.. all vfat)
2) Disk 2 - 40GB /dev/hdc (partitioned into D:,E:, F: .. all vfat)
Windows, Knoppix HD-Install, and even distros like Suse can read data off /dev/hdc1(5,6..) and of course off /dev/hda. However the problem comes when installing distros. Whenever it comes to partitioning step, i *always* get a message saying "/dev/hdc: This disk is not initialised. Dow u want to format? This will erase entire disk" on RedHat and "This disk cannot be read. Please format it. Ignore this messgae if u are not planning to install Suse on this partition." on suse. Also, Partition Magic and QtParted cannot read the partitions on this disk. QtParted just hangs, and Partition Magic 6.0 on startup says that this disk need to be repaired. Sad I donot know whats up, but my guess is that it is due to corrupted partition table. Is there any way to repair the partition table, without damaging the data already stored on this disk? I mean, isnt it surprising that data can be read / written perfectly on this disk? What is the problem?
Also, in addition to this question, does QtParted support resizing and modifying data on a partition without damaging the data?
Rohan.
I installed ubuntu linux and solved the problem using "gpart" .. I did a "gpart /dev/hdc" and the partition info seemed correct, so i did "gpart -W /dev/hdc /dev/hdc" and than all was fine, the linux installers recognized it. Now the partitions were hdc1 hdc2 hdc3
The next day, i popped in the Knoppix cd, and it detected the hard drives properly, But it hangs at the step "Analyzing partitions on hard disks and creating /etc/fstab"
Why this strange behaviour?? Any solutions? I would be grateful. I use Knoppix 3.6, by the way... If any more info is required, please post here.
Rohan.

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD
$1299.99
IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$149.99
IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620
$199.99
Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series
$375.00
IBM SERVER SLED WITH HDD SCSI 8.8GB ,P005043441, AS IS,UNTESTED
$165.00
IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$108.92
IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A
$1731.00
IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS
$80.00
IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU
$250.00
DELL POWEREDGE HP IBM SERVER XEON GOLD 5415+ 8 CORE PROCESSOR 2.9 GHZ SRMGC
$1299.00