Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 12 of 12

Thread: how to install knoppix (HD install)

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    10
    I have tried the above solution without success:

    After booting from Knoppix 3.7 Live-CD I went mit cntrl-ALt-F1 to the console.
    The command "knoppix tohd...." is not known to the bash shell (mybe it was only a path issue?)

    I tried to issue "knoppix tohd=/dev/sda1" (I have an USB disk which was found and auto mounted by Knoppix) on the boot prompt.
    This failed (probably because sda1 is not ready to be used at this early time in the boot process).

    By the way, what is the difference to "knx-hdinstall" (does this prepare for a full boot from HD vs. a boot from CD taking most of the files from HD??)
    Can I use this command as well to get all the system copied to HD and then have both options: boot from HD or from CD+HD?

    [edit] I tested "knx-hdinstall" - command not found as well. I found "knx2hd" and "knoppix-installer" instead. I am a bit confused now! Any help to guide me out of this confusion?

    Thx for clarification!

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    israel
    Posts
    8
    hey,
    thank for all the replys,
    and since I see that other people have the same problem I explane what I did.

    to tschloss: try the next command for hd install: 'sudo knoppix-installer'
    (I didn't try it, it's from earlier reply, and I think it's from a regular shell)

    I personaly didn't try the 'tohd...' and 'fromhd...' and it looks like it going to make some problems with ntfs files.

    I tried and used 'bootfrom...' and it works. BUT, it didn't work from the external hd because it wasn't mounted or someting like that at the time it was needed for booting (so I'm guessing it won't work with 'tohd...' and 'fromhd...' ).
    and when I used the c: hd for 'knoppix.iso' (bootfrom=/dev/hda1) it works fine but it mounted ALL the hd as 'cdrom2.loop' and I couldnt get to this hd, not even for reading.

    so, if you need access to the hd that you put the 'knoppix.iso' image on, you need other solution.

    if someone knows someting else, please let as all know .

    thanks, shimi

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Apt-get better with Debian install than Knoppix install?
    By susanjohnson in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-21-2005, 11:36 AM
  2. Knoppix install read error around 80%, install another way?
    By nmz787 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-21-2004, 09:17 AM
  3. Knoppix HDD install Vs. regular Debian install
    By Jez in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-09-2004, 09:06 PM
  4. HD install+Nvidia driver install = no kernel headers aargh
    By nishtya in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-18-2004, 10:08 PM
  5. saving home from hd-install, so i can install new knoppix
    By Superstoned in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-27-2003, 03:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Apple Mac Pro 2019 1TB OEM SSD Kit-832GB +128GB - 656-0122/ 656-0121 picture

Apple Mac Pro 2019 1TB OEM SSD Kit-832GB +128GB - 656-0122/ 656-0121

$69.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$60.00



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$545.25



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



SK hynix PC801 1TB M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4 x4 Internal SSD HFS512GDE9X081N picture

SK hynix PC801 1TB M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4 x4 Internal SSD HFS512GDE9X081N

$90.00



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive picture

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive

$86.95



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$330.73



EDILOCA EN880E 1TB M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4 Internal SSD for Laptop/PC picture

EDILOCA EN880E 1TB M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4 Internal SSD for Laptop/PC

$115.00