-
Some things to check for
What drive letter is your CD ? There is some code in qemu*/qemu-knoppix.bat which needs to find the CD drive letter. and only works if the drive letter is D,E,F,G,H,I,J, or K (I think. Can't check right now). If that's the problem, copy all the files from the CD to a directory; make the obvious change to the 'bat' file; and make a new CD. (Or issue a 'subst' command. Gave me quite a surprise when I did that by accident.) The new CD should 'boot' under Windows but not 'real'; to do the 'dual-capable' one you need the right 'mkisofs' command. Knoppix documentation will show it.
Another possibility is that you have an old version of Windows. I have seen success with XP, but failure with ME and 95. I have not tried others. I presume it's something about the compilers that were used to build 'qemu' producing code that will only work on newer versions of Windows. Mind you, "Got to upgrade to XP in order to run Linux" is not going to get much sympathy
Kanotix-for-Windows is constructed differently, and should 'boot' under Windows whatever drive letter you use. You can derive a Kanotix which boots 'real' by looking for the '.iso' file in the root directory of the CD. I like Kanotix.
If that doesn't fix it, copy the files from the ISO to disk and poke around with the QEMU documentation (in the qemu* directory, or qemu's web site) and adjust things until they run. If all else fails, there's always the source ... though I didn't need to recompile anything to make these isos. Just packaging. Honest. QEMU is good.
Cut and paste the commands and error messages here. Maybe I'll be able to help,or someone else will be able to help both of us.
If you can leave BitTorrent connected, it helps me. I have only 32 kbyte/second of uplink bandwidth, and rather a lot of ISOs to seed.
Similar Threads
-
By nicorellius in forum Networking
Replies: 16
Last Post: 11-12-2004, 09:17 PM
-
By manatarms1775 in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-13-2004, 06:25 PM
-
Replies: 7
Last Post: 02-29-2004, 08:02 AM
-
By legal in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-15-2004, 04:33 PM
-
By javiergarza4 in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 11-15-2003, 05:12 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC
$175.00

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP
$299.00

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$115.00

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC
$115.00

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026
$12.99

ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB
$350.00

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive
$15.95

1U Rackmount PC Intel Core i5-2520M 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Ubuntu Linux Server
$109.99

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA
$284.99

Sun Enterprise e450 400mhz cpu(x4), 4gb ram, 9gb HD w/spud most complete on ebay
$500.00