Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Can't create usable Linux partitions on Windows HD

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9

    Can't create usable Linux partitions on Windows HD

    I'm trying to install Knoppix 3.4 on a hard drive which already has Windows 98 SE on it and am running into nothing but problems. First problem: I made partitions for Linux (3.5 GB for OS, 256 KB for swap) but can't make the OS partition bootable because there's already a bootable Windows partition on the drive. How do I get around that?

    My setup: One hard drive, 40 GB, with four fat32 partitions about 8-10 GB each. First two partitions are used by Windows, other two are empty. I deleted the last partition, then created the Linux partition (primary) and then the swap partition (does it matter if it's primary or virtual?).

    Thanks for any help.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    There is no point to a swap if it 256 kb.

    Anyway, there is no need to set the linux partition as active, the bootloader will take care of that.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9
    Sorry, meant to say 256 MB for swap partition. Thanks for replying.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    536
    When you install it to the hd, during the install process it will ask you where you want to install the bootloader. The mbr is where you want to put it if you want to boot both knoppix and windows using Lilo(Linux Loader). Lilo will automatically see the windows OS and linux and give you the choices each time you boot. It will default to the linux OS if you do not choose right away. I think there is a 5 second timer. That can be changed later on in the lilo.conf file.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9
    Thanks, rrfish, that clears one thing up. I'm at the point where I've created the Linux partitions and written the table to disk, but I don't see any formatting option. I assume the new partitions need to be formatted.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    that will happen during install

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9
    Thanks, OErjan. So much to learn....

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    i know, i lern every day.
    there is a saying (something like this) "you die when that is what you have left to master, or when you show yourself too stupid to go further."
    i guess they did not consider diseases, the stupidity of others, natural disasters...

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9
    Yeah, I'll say there's something to learn every day. Now when I try to install, I get a "requirements not met" message with an option to make partitions, even though I've already made them and written the table to disk. If I try the partitioning option, I get a message saying the disk is read only. I don't know how a HD can be read only. It's working fine in Windows, at least as fine as it can in Windows. Any ideas? Thanks.

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    536
    Are they formatted as linux ext3 and linux swap?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Using Linux to remove spyware from Windows partitions.
    By fairchdr in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-06-2004, 03:40 AM
  2. Cannot mount windows partitions
    By milkjam in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-26-2004, 05:00 AM
  3. Write to Windows Partitions
    By green_man in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-23-2004, 01:21 AM
  4. How rescue Windows Partitions with K3B?
    By HK in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-14-2003, 05:34 PM
  5. Windows FAT and FAT 32 partitions
    By fransm in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-23-2003, 03:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung DVI to DVI Cable 6 ft Digital Video Interface Audio Video NEW picture

Samsung DVI to DVI Cable 6 ft Digital Video Interface Audio Video NEW

$30.89



Samsung Galaxy View Tablet 18.4 SM-T670/677A Digitizer 100% Original Oem picture

Samsung Galaxy View Tablet 18.4 SM-T670/677A Digitizer 100% Original Oem

$152.99



Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 NVME PCIE 4.0 V-NAND Internal SSD  picture

Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 NVME PCIE 4.0 V-NAND Internal SSD

$210.00



Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3/  64 gig/WIFI picture

Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3/ 64 gig/WIFI

$85.00



Kids Case for Samsung Galaxy Tab A9+/A9 plus 11 Inch 2023 Case, with Strap, Shoc picture

Kids Case for Samsung Galaxy Tab A9+/A9 plus 11 Inch 2023 Case, with Strap, Shoc

$27.99



Samsung JC95-01514A Cover-Side Roller T2 Compatible picture

Samsung JC95-01514A Cover-Side Roller T2 Compatible

$39.00



Samsung JC93-01078A Transfer Roller T2 picture

Samsung JC93-01078A Transfer Roller T2

$89.00



Samsung PC4-2666V 16GB 2Rx8 RAM DDR4 2666MHz M471A2K43CB1-CTD picture

Samsung PC4-2666V 16GB 2Rx8 RAM DDR4 2666MHz M471A2K43CB1-CTD

$59.99



USB C to Type C Cable Fast Charger For Samsung Galaxy S8 S9 S10 Plus Note 10 12 picture

USB C to Type C Cable Fast Charger For Samsung Galaxy S8 S9 S10 Plus Note 10 12

$5.00



Samsung LC34G55TWDNXZA 34

Samsung LC34G55TWDNXZA 34" Odyssey G55T WQHD 165Hz 1ms(MPRT) AMD FreeSync HDR

$217.00