Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: AC '97 No Sound, Tried all suggestions (Don't yell at me!!!)

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    2

    AC '97 No Sound, Tried all suggestions (Don't yell at me!!!)

    I have an Asus A7V8X-X MB with onboard VIA AC97 sound.
    Even after trying the Alsa argument at boot (I'm running the live CD) I get no sound (in control center it says "device can't be opened for playback"). I can't check my mixer settings, since kmix has no sliders in the gui (in the shell, when I run kmix I get a slew of error messages). Alsa-autoconfig runs with no errors, but makes no difference. And sndconfig finds the AC97 card but says it's not supported.

    And just to give you an idea of how linux-illiterate I am, I don't even know how to view my lspci -v output in a way that will allow me to paste it into this post (so if you think it'll help, tell me how, please)...

    Thanks in advance...

    Edit: here's my lspci -v, finally:

    0000:00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8377 [KT400/KT600 AGP] HostBridge
    Subsystem: Asustek Computer, Inc. A7V8X motherboard
    Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 0
    Memory at e0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
    Capabilities: <available only to root>

    0000:00:01.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8235 PCI Bridge (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
    Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 0
    Bus: primary=00, secondary=01, subordinate=01, sec-latency=0
    Memory behind bridge: d6000000-d7efffff
    Prefetchable memory behind bridge: d7f00000-dfffffff
    Capabilities: <available only to root>

    0000:00:10.0 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 80) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
    Subsystem: Asustek Computer, Inc. A7V8X-X motherboard
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 21
    I/O ports at d800 [size=32]
    Capabilities: <available only to root>

    0000:00:10.1 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 80) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
    Subsystem: Asustek Computer, Inc. A7V8X-X motherboard
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 21
    I/O ports at d400 [size=32]
    Capabilities: <available only to root>

    0000:00:10.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 80) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
    Subsystem: Asustek Computer, Inc. A7V8X-X motherboard
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 21
    I/O ports at d000 [size=32]
    Capabilities: <available only to root>

    0000:00:10.3 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0 (rev 82) (prog-if 20 [EHCI])
    Subsystem: Asustek Computer, Inc. A7V8X-X motherboard rev 1.01
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 21
    Memory at d5800000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
    Capabilities: <available only to root>

    0000:00:11.0 ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8235 ISA Bridge
    Subsystem: Asustek Computer, Inc. A7V8X-X motherboard
    Flags: bus master, stepping, medium devsel, latency 0
    Capabilities: <available only to root>

    0000:00:11.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT823x/A/C PIPC Bus Master IDE (rev 06) (prog-if 8a [Master SecP PriP])
    Subsystem: Asustek Computer, Inc. A7V8X-X motherboard rev. 1.01
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 255
    I/O ports at b800 [size=16]
    Capabilities: <available only to root>

    0000:00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 50)
    Subsystem: Asustek Computer, Inc. A7V8X-X Motherboard
    Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 22
    I/O ports at e000 [size=256]
    Capabilities: <available only to root>

    0000:00:12.0 Ethernet controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6102 [Rhine-II] (rev 74)
    Subsystem: Asustek Computer, Inc. A7V8X-X Motherboard
    Flags: bus master, stepping, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 23
    I/O ports at b400 [size=256]
    Memory at d5000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
    Capabilities: <available only to root>

    0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5200] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
    Subsystem: Gateway 2000: Unknown device 3019
    Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 16
    Memory at d6000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
    Memory at d8000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
    Expansion ROM at d7fe0000 [disabled] [size=128K]
    Capabilities: <available only to root>

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    2

    Never mind...

    Whee... A few hours reading posts in the forum and some checking on the ALSA Project site fixed my problem... Thanks to all of you who helped (from your earlier posts), even if you weren't aware of it.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1

    Re: Never mind...

    I have the same problem. Could you share what you did to fix it? Thanks.

    Quote Originally Posted by postjm9
    Whee... A few hours reading posts in the forum and some checking on the ALSA Project site fixed my problem... Thanks to all of you who helped (from your earlier posts), even if you weren't aware of it.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    7
    Hi.

    I also have this problem with the same onboard VIA AC97 sound.

    postjm9, can you please tell us how to work this out?

    Thanks.

    §8-)

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Spring, TX
    Posts
    9
    Here's what he told me:

    "My card started working once I realized that I needed the via82xx driver and told ALSA to load it manually, instead of depending on autoconfiguration. "

    I don't even know what that means, though. haha

    later,
    Rick

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    76
    Someone else I know had problems with AC97, while I didn't. I have an Apollo mk20n.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Argentina
    Posts
    8

    Load the snd-via82xx kernel modules

    Hi, you have to load the via82xx sound modules in order to make the thing work. Here's how:

    open a konsole or xterm or whatever you want and type:

    $su

    then put root's passwd

    #modconf

    then go to "kernel/drivers/sound"

    and look for "via82cxxx_audio" item, then hit ENTER to load, it will display a message telling if succeded or not.
    Then open kmix and set the volumes (it may say UNKNOWN CARD) but works anyway.

    Also if you have kernel 2.6 you can try ALSA sound modules under "kernel/sound/pci"

    bye!

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    536
    modprobe via82cxxx_audio does the same thing but only temporarily, they are lost after a reboot. I always use modconf to install modules that are there.

Similar Threads

  1. CPU/Net/Mem Monitor - Suggestions?
    By kayl in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-09-2005, 11:14 PM
  2. A few usability suggestions
    By jisakiel in forum Ideas
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-14-2005, 12:30 AM
  3. Few suggestions for 3.8
    By nitropowered in forum Ideas
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-22-2005, 06:55 AM
  4. Asking for Helpful Suggestions
    By RandomGoon in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-06-2004, 09:06 PM
  5. Black screen, tried suggestions given here.
    By dskippy in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-30-2003, 09:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge T440 Tower Server 2x Intel Gold 5118 and 128GB 2400MHZ DDR4 picture

Dell PowerEdge T440 Tower Server 2x Intel Gold 5118 and 128GB 2400MHZ DDR4

$1840.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



VMware vCenter Server 8 STANDARD Perpetual License Key VC-STD-C (Legacy Pack) picture

VMware vCenter Server 8 STANDARD Perpetual License Key VC-STD-C (Legacy Pack)

$1599.95



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$225.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$381.93



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$169.99



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50