Somebody else asked this recently, see http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15751
after i installed knoppix v3.7 on hdd then after reboot it then gives me boot menu then after i enter the specified menu then it gives me this error :
initrd-tools : 0.1.74
mount : fs type devfs not supported by kernel
umount : devfs : not mounted
mount : fs type devfs not supported by kernel
umount : devfs : not mounted
pivot_root : No such file or directory
/sbin/init : 426 : cannot open dev/console : no such file
Kernel panic : Attempted to kill init!
and the lights of the caps and scroll lock keeps on blinking then it stay's there for about 30mins .. and i assume it hangs.![]()
Somebody else asked this recently, see http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15751
the forum site u gave me give no results? any possible solution out there?
Could be a bad burn or bad download. Try burning again with a slower speed. Then when you boot at the prompt type knoppix testcd, that check the integrity of the files of the cd. Good luck.
That's because there aint no answer!Originally Posted by twistedalpha
The URL I referenced above was me asking the same question about the same problem along with another guy. I've seen this problem since Knoppix v3.6. I've also seen the same problem on the most recent 2 versions of Kanotix. What I am saying is that I think it is a bug in the latest Debian unstable libparted and, unfortunately, we have to wait until Debian fixes it.
rrfish72, this exactly the same problem experienced by quite a few people. It is *not* due to a bad burn/download etc. It occurs only with the very latest Knoppix/Kanotix/Mepis/Unstable (etc) and only with some newer motherboards.Originally Posted by rrfish72
Why not post this in the kanotix forum and maybe Kano will get you the answer.
http://kanotix.mipooh.net/
I don't really know anything about this problem and I'm not disputing what you are saying, but do I understand right that this problem is only seen after a hard disk install but not off the live CD? If so, how is it a bug in the latest Debian unstable libparted? I just don't understand why that would be.Originally Posted by markb
Oh well so much for v3.7 ..![]()
I've used and installed 3.7 successfully three times on 3 different computers. Might be just operator error!

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$99.99
16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR4 Gamer Desktop RAM PC4 MIXED BRANDS
$65.00
Samsung 8GB DDR4 SO-DIMM PC4-3200AA 260-Pin RAM M471A1G44BB0-CWE Module
$29.25
A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68
[Lot of 4] SK Hynix 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-2666V DDR4 HMA82GU6DJR8N-VK RAM - Used
$299.95
Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC
$29.99
50x RAM Box Tray DDR2 DDR3 DDR4 DDR5 ESD DIMM Memory Shipping Storage Transport
$9.99
MINT Micron Cisco 32GB PC4-2400T DDR4 2Rx4 RDIMM RAM MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G3 LOT
$159.99
16GB ( 4X 4GB ) MEMORY DDR3 PC3-10600 1333MHz FOR DELL OPTIPLEX 790 780 990 980
$39.99
Team Group Team Elite DDR3-1600 DIMM 16GB (2x8GB) 240-Pin Desktop RAM
$35.00