-
Junior Member
registered user
Error after Hdd install
after i installed knoppix v3.7 on hdd then after reboot it then gives me boot menu then after i enter the specified menu then it gives me this error :
initrd-tools : 0.1.74
mount : fs type devfs not supported by kernel
umount : devfs : not mounted
mount : fs type devfs not supported by kernel
umount : devfs : not mounted
pivot_root : No such file or directory
/sbin/init : 426 : cannot open dev/console : no such file
Kernel panic : Attempted to kill init!
and the lights of the caps and scroll lock keeps on blinking then it stay's there for about 30mins .. and i assume it hangs.
-
-
Junior Member
registered user
the forum site u gave me give no results? any possible solution out there?
-
Senior Member
registered user
Could be a bad burn or bad download. Try burning again with a slower speed. Then when you boot at the prompt type knoppix testcd, that check the integrity of the files of the cd. Good luck.
-

Originally Posted by
twistedalpha
the forum site u gave me give no results? any possible solution out there?
That's because there aint no answer!
The URL I referenced above was me asking the same question about the same problem along with another guy. I've seen this problem since Knoppix v3.6. I've also seen the same problem on the most recent 2 versions of Kanotix. What I am saying is that I think it is a bug in the latest Debian unstable libparted and, unfortunately, we have to wait until Debian fixes it.
-

Originally Posted by
rrfish72
Could be a bad burn or bad download. Try burning again with a slower speed. Then when you boot at the prompt type knoppix testcd, that check the integrity of the files of the cd. Good luck.
rrfish72, this exactly the same problem experienced by quite a few people. It is *not* due to a bad burn/download etc. It occurs only with the very latest Knoppix/Kanotix/Mepis/Unstable (etc) and only with some newer motherboards.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Why not post this in the kanotix forum and maybe Kano will get you the answer.
http://kanotix.mipooh.net/
-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
markb
What I am saying is that I think it is a bug in the latest Debian unstable libparted and, unfortunately, we have to wait until Debian fixes it.
I don't really know anything about this problem and I'm not disputing what you are saying, but do I understand right that this problem is only seen after a hard disk install but not off the live CD? If so, how is it a bug in the latest Debian unstable libparted? I just don't understand why that would be.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Oh well so much for v3.7 ..
-
Senior Member
registered user
I've used and installed 3.7 successfully three times on 3 different computers. Might be just operator error!
Similar Threads
-
By kene in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-03-2005, 12:36 AM
-
By ses182 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-21-2005, 04:07 PM
-
By adamherb in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-03-2005, 07:22 PM
-
By nmz787 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-21-2004, 09:17 AM
-
By misagh in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 9
Last Post: 03-11-2003, 12:54 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage PC sleeper case 2000 Pentium 4 full tower 6 drive bays
$59.99

IBM 3270 Keyboard Beam Spring - With Manual - Vintage Rare Beamspring
$3000.00

Vintage Epson Apex Plus AP3001A Dual 360K Disk Drives PC w/ Epson Apex Keyboard
$249.95

Vintage HP 21MX 1000 M-Series Minicomputer Chassis Backplane Parts AS-IS
$228.19

Vintage PPI Super Sketch G2400 for Texas Instruments TI99/4A
$150.00

Huge Lot of 20+ Vintage Akai MIDI Floppy Disks
$399.99

Rare Vintage Nec Mobile Gear II MC R430 Computer Japanese Windows Ce
$299.99

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot
$316.95

Vintage Retro Cyrix 6x86 133mhz 32mb RAM Floppy Combo
$299.00

Sanyo DM 5012CM Solid State Data Display Monitor Working Vintage 1980s 80s
$169.99