Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Knoppix on a Mac?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    9

    Knoppix on a Mac?

    Silly question time....
    I gave a friend of mine of Knoppix 3.1 to try on his Mac and he says it won't work..
    Should it ?
    I know they are both based on Unix...
    He is a Mac man and I WAS Windows but discoverd Mandrake @ version 8.2 then 9.0 now dumped them for Knoppix 3.1 now 3.2
    I think I am becoming a Linux junkie !

    Thanks guys....
    Proceed

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    298

    Re: Knoppix on a Mac?

    Quote Originally Posted by proceed
    Silly question time....
    I gave a friend of mine of Knoppix 3.1 to try on his Mac and he says it won't work..
    Should it ?
    I know they are both based on Unix...
    He is a Mac man and I WAS Windows but discoverd Mandrake @ version 8.2 then 9.0 now dumped them for Knoppix 3.1 now 3.2
    I think I am becoming a Linux junkie !
    Knoppix is "i386" only. That means it only runs on intel 80386 compatibles, like the Pentium, Athlon or more 'obscure' CPUs like the Crusoe.

    I don't think there are bootable Linux CDs for the Mac. At least DistroWatch doesn't list them.

  3. #3
    This is why I posted this thread (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1582) to the Ideas group. I think there should be a PPC port of knoppix. It would do well to help put the Linux bug into people already used to using an alternative OS. I know the switch campaigns and all that, but Linux on the PPC platform, especially the older PPCs that won't support OS X will win some hearts and minds.

    and Knoppix is poised to do it.

    The PPC platform (which is RISC based) has a lot to offer this community in terms of speed and power besides.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    252
    Very right about that.
    I know debian DOES already work on a IMAC.
    http://debian-imac.sourceforge.net/
    But how to implement this in knoppix ??? Maybe something for Klaus ?

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7
    FYI, the Gentoo LiveCD will boot on a Mac. Not quite Knoppix, but it's a start.

    http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-ppc-install.xml

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lot of 20 Micron 16GB DDR4-3200 ECC RDIMM 2Rx8 MTA18ASF2G72PDZ-3G2R1 320GB picture

Lot of 20 Micron 16GB DDR4-3200 ECC RDIMM 2Rx8 MTA18ASF2G72PDZ-3G2R1 320GB

$2399.99



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$288.19



Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G) picture

Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)

$89.99



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



1x64GB Hynix HMAA8GL7MMR4N DDR4 PC4 2133P-LE0-11 4Rx4 ECC LRDIMM Server RAM picture

1x64GB Hynix HMAA8GL7MMR4N DDR4 PC4 2133P-LE0-11 4Rx4 ECC LRDIMM Server RAM

$320.00



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Server Memory: Samsung 32GB 4DRx4 PC4-2133P ECC LRDIMM DDR4 M386A4G40DM0-CPB picture

Server Memory: Samsung 32GB 4DRx4 PC4-2133P ECC LRDIMM DDR4 M386A4G40DM0-CPB

$124.95



24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC picture

24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC

$349.99



SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory picture

SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory

$159.98