Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Help with a REALLY Old Machine

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    61

    Help with a REALLY Old Machine

    Am trying to help my sister-in-law with getting Linux on an HP Vectra VL/133 (Pentium 133 Mhz with 64 Megs of RAM, 2 Gig HD, 1 Meg video card) that I added a DVD-ROM/CD drive to.

    I can boot a Windows CD and a Disk Partition CD using the DVD/CD drive, but can't seem to boot either Knoppix, DSL, or SystemRescueCD. These CDs work ok on my newer machine at home, so I think they're ok. Is there some magic that folks on this forum are aware of that might explain this behavior? Is there some type of floppy bootloader I should be looking at? Other suggestions?

    Thanks,
    Ewan

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Help with a REALLY Old Machine

    Quote Originally Posted by ewangr
    Am trying to help my sister-in-law with getting Linux on an HP Vectra VL/133 (Pentium 133 Mhz with 64 Megs of RAM, 2 Gig HD, 1 Meg video card) that I added a DVD-ROM/CD drive to.

    I can boot a Windows CD and a Disk Partition CD using the DVD/CD drive, but can't seem to boot either Knoppix, DSL, or SystemRescueCD. These CDs work ok on my newer machine at home, so I think they're ok. Is there some magic that folks on this forum are aware of that might explain this behavior? Is there some type of floppy bootloader I should be looking at? Other suggestions?
    I've seen some old machines around that vintage that have problems booting some bootabe CD's but not others (My Pentium based system is that way), I would suggest using a boot manager that can boot from CD. I have XOSL installed on my Pentium and it works great (can boot Knoppix CDs that the computer will not boot directly). Another program that will do it too, although is less rich in features and not as nice looking (but slightly easier to setup) is Smart Boot Manager.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    The PC may be too old to boot from the CD. I have had to use boot floppies on an old Pentium 75MHz. Try Smart BootManager http://btmgr.webframe.org/
    What is it
    Smart Boot Manager (SBM) is an OS independent and full-featured boot manager with an easy-to-use user interface.
    I hope this helps.
    James

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Paderborn, Germany
    Posts
    1
    Hi Ewan,

    try the cheatcode "atapicd" or "ide=nodma".

    I had some Vectra which worked with this option. ( The boot stopped soon after the CDROM had been detected and used ).

    Best regards,

    haveaniceday

Similar Threads

  1. How to Connect to XP machine
    By warrenite in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-02-2006, 07:25 PM
  2. Installing on XP machine
    By Dingo in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-17-2005, 02:58 AM
  3. Using knoppix with a virtual machine like dsl, possible?
    By B@se in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-25-2005, 07:23 PM
  4. Machine name and workgroup
    By tp671 in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-13-2005, 11:27 PM
  5. Turning My Machine Off
    By beforewisdom in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-11-2003, 12:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OEM Genuine 86WH 69KF2 Battery For Dell XPS 15 9500 Precision 5550 M59JH M15 M17 picture

OEM Genuine 86WH 69KF2 Battery For Dell XPS 15 9500 Precision 5550 M59JH M15 M17

$45.49



OEM 68Wh 3HWPP Battery For Dell Latitude 5401 5501 5410 5510 E5411 E5511 picture

OEM 68Wh 3HWPP Battery For Dell Latitude 5401 5501 5410 5510 E5411 E5511

$28.99



Genuine OEM 63Wh 7FMXV Battery For Dell Latitude 5320 7320 7420 7520 4M1JN TN2GY picture

Genuine OEM 63Wh 7FMXV Battery For Dell Latitude 5320 7320 7420 7520 4M1JN TN2GY

$32.99



OEM Genuine 95WH PKWVM C903V Battery 7550 For Dell Precision CR72X 17C06 447VR picture

OEM Genuine 95WH PKWVM C903V Battery 7550 For Dell Precision CR72X 17C06 447VR

$37.40



OEM Genuine 42Wh WDX0R For DELL Inspiron WDXOR Battery 15 5567 5568 13 5368 7368 picture

OEM Genuine 42Wh WDX0R For DELL Inspiron WDXOR Battery 15 5567 5568 13 5368 7368

$22.99



OEM 68Wh 3HWPP Battery For Dell Latitude 5401 5411 15 5501 5511 Precision 3541 picture

OEM 68Wh 3HWPP Battery For Dell Latitude 5401 5411 15 5501 5511 Precision 3541

$35.78



NEW OEM V6W33 Battery For Dell Inspiron 3510 5510 Latitude 3330 3320 Vostro 3515 picture

NEW OEM V6W33 Battery For Dell Inspiron 3510 5510 Latitude 3330 3320 Vostro 3515

$22.00



Lot of 5 Dell OEM 65W 7.4mm 19.5V 3.34A AC Adapters Mixed Models B Grade picture

Lot of 5 Dell OEM 65W 7.4mm 19.5V 3.34A AC Adapters Mixed Models B Grade

$39.99



NEW OEM Genuine RJ40G 4 Cell Laptop Battery Dell Latitude 5420 5520 3560 M033W picture

NEW OEM Genuine RJ40G 4 Cell Laptop Battery Dell Latitude 5420 5520 3560 M033W

$42.19



OEM 38Wh F62G0 Battery for Dell Inspiron 13 5370 7000 7370 7380 7386 7373 P83G picture

OEM 38Wh F62G0 Battery for Dell Inspiron 13 5370 7000 7370 7380 7386 7373 P83G

$29.89