Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: pktgen with knoppix

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    2

    pktgen with knoppix

    Hello,

    I would like to use pktgen -- the kernel module for generating packets -- with Knoppix.

    I am trying to create a bunch of traffic to stress test a system. I've created a bunch of disk-less systems w/CD-ROMS and would like to boot Knoppix and use pktgen to do its thing.

    I see that pktgen.o/pktgen.ko is present on the distro. However, whenever I try and "modprob pktgen" (under both the 2.4 and 2.6) I get an error. The error under 2.4 is:

    knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ modprobe pktgen
    /lib/modules/2.4.27/kernel/net/core/pktgen.o: create_module: Operation not permitted
    /lib/modules/2.4.27/kernel/net/core/pktgen.o: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.27/kernel/net/core/pktgen.o failed
    /lib/modules/2.4.27/kernel/net/core/pktgen.o: insmod pktgen failed

    I'm using the latest ISO. I've booted with "nodma" since booting without it results in my system loosing the filesystem part way through boot.

    Any suggestions?

    Thanks,

    Dan

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    2
    A little more information:

    When running modprobe from a textmode console I get the following more detailed error message:

    pktgen: Error: your machine does not have working cycle counter.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



Vintage Linux DVD - Knoppix 5.2 - c't Magazine - 7 / 2007 - Software Collection 2 picture

Vintage Linux DVD - Knoppix 5.2 - c't Magazine - 7 / 2007 - Software Collection 2

$7.85



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$33.62