-
Senior Member
registered user
Distro Opinions
I've been noticing at http://distrowatch.com/ the rapid upward movement of one debian based distro
( the one whose name sounds like something you do when you go to the toilet ).
I realized that I'm as opinionated as the people at boards who brag about "their" distro, and
I suspect I could get some heat about this post but my clothing labels inform me that they're
flame resistant.
People have tribal leanings and even though we're in this open source experiment we tend to
look for even smaller groups to identify with, and then attack or compete with ones we don't identify with.
It does irk me that it has to be so competive. I know there are benefits to that too-still it bothers me.
I don't like the distro that's on that rapid rise at distrowatch. In my opinion it isn't as flexible or as much
fun as knoppix. The rapid riser, seems, in my opinion, to be positioning itself to become a big commercial linux,
and they rave about their chosen favorite alot too. ( I used to frequent their user board )
I have used about a dozen different linux's. Amoung them suse, mandrake, debian woody, slackware, bsd,
xandros, gnoppix, jamd, dyne:bolic, the afore-mentioned quick riser and of course knoppix.
I'm using slack right now. I couldn't get xine to work in knoppix but it works great in slack. Sometimes
the less "jazzy" distro's have great features. I've found slack to be really the best for figuring out a problem
and then sometimes I can apply the solution to one of the other distros. (I multi boot 7 installed linux's).
There are, I think, always positives and negatives with any experiance which includes software.
The two distros I use and like the most are knoppix and slackware.
Similar Threads
-
By Sass in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 10-07-2005, 04:24 PM
-
By sybariten in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 09-29-2004, 01:42 AM
-
By sancelot in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-28-2004, 01:39 AM
-
By silian87 in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-15-2004, 06:46 AM
-
By dbojan in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-04-2003, 10:17 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OWC 16TB ThunderBay 4 4-Bay Thunderbolt 3 External Hard Drive RAID - 100% Health
$1212.00

Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004
$649.99

Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board
$300.00

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs
$87.99

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2
$75.99

WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure
$119.99

Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA Drives External Array
$55.00

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003
$639.69

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD
$265.00