-
Senior Member
registered user
On the topic of society being competitve & trashing others:
One of the universal truths is that stupidity & bigotry is not bound by any age, language, locale, sex, race, religion, creed, political ideology, size, shape, color, weight, etc. This truth also applies to such topics as import vs domestic cars, sports teams, OSs, immigration, CPU chips, video game platforms, programming languages, etc. A corallary to this truth is that most people can not acurately compare & contrast their topic/product without insulting & trashing a competitor topic/product. These two concepts are most often found in individuals who have low self-esteem & feel the need to just belong to something or anything. These people use the anonymity & the power of the Internet to spread their message of hate and intolerance in order to justify their new found "self worth".
On that fast rising distro:
If the distro in question is mepis, then my personal experience is only with the live CD that was released within the last 30 days. I did notice some things. The mepis is made up of Free & Open Source software, but the distro as a whole is not under a Free or Open Source license. See http://os.newsforge.com/comments.pl?...2205&sid=42176. It looks like mepis is distributing RelaPlayer which is not free for all distribution. If it was, then Knoppix would have RealPlayer too. The mepis license is for non-commercial use only and may be ditributed for non-commercial use. This is because one of the administrative GUI packages is under a restrictive license similar to how Suse's YAST was under a restrictive license (now a GPL license). The author of the mepis admin GUI is free to license it as he sees fit. I am free to complain about it because I am not permitted to use mepis at my job nor can I make copies and give it away like I give away Knoppix. The other mepis issue (which I have not verified or have absolute proof) is with their wireless support. Many people have noticed that mepis has better wireless device support as compared to other distros. I have found forum postings where some people suspect that they may be distributing binary wireless drivers outside of the driver's license agreements.
On using many distros:
I love using many distros & have become distro independent. I have used probably 30 plus distros and now use about 10 to do my job, hobbies, and volunteer work. Off the top of my head I use:
RedHat ES/AS 2.1 & 3.0
Fedora Core 2 & 3
Suse SLES 8 x86/x86-64, 9 x86/x86-64
Suse 9.x Pro
Knoppix
Debian
Gentoo
IPCop
CensorNet
Similar Threads
-
By Sass in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 10-07-2005, 04:24 PM
-
By sybariten in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 09-29-2004, 01:42 AM
-
By sancelot in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-28-2004, 01:39 AM
-
By silian87 in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-15-2004, 06:46 AM
-
By dbojan in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-04-2003, 10:17 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch
$439.00

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New
$101.99

Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords
$240.00

New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US
$17.00

Cisco C9300-48UXM-A Switch 9300 Series 48-port UPoE Network
$874.99

Cisco C3850-NM-2-10G Catalyst 3850 2 x 10GE Network Module
$30.00

nxa-pac-750w-pe v02 NEW OPEN BOX for Cisco Nexus 9300 Series power supply
$200.00

Cisco Catalyst C9120AXI-B Wi-Fi 6 Access Points
$30.00