ok mate no probs ,thanx anyway
I'm sorry. I was reading a lot of threads this evening and I just finally noticed that you seem to be talking about a hard drive install. While knoppix nodma or knoppix26 nodma is certainly what you want to type rather than just typing nodma, I really can't give advice about a hard drive install of Knoppix (From over a year and a half of reading these forums, about the only thing I've learned about installing Knoppix to a hard drive is that something always seems to go wrong, as Knoppix was not designed for hard drive install).Originally Posted by bugsy
ok mate no probs ,thanx anyway
I was thinking of putting knoppix on my harddrive, but after reading this thread i am having second thoughts. can anybody who has done this/tried this give me an idea of wether or not i should give it a shot?
Well, it's certainly been done, but will varying degrees of sucess. I just don't know and shouldn't speculate on what bugsy's particular problem is. I certainly don't recognize it. Much more common are things that seemed to work perfectly well when booting from CD that don't work at all or don't work right after a hard disk install (like networking). I would think you might want to read through the hdd forum, although many of the problem threads end up in other forums too (like this one here or many network problems after hdd install in the networking forum). Another problem I see frequently is that things break after an update, apparently caused because Knoppix is a mix of at least three different versions of Debian (and maybe some other stuff too). I certainly wasn't telling Bugsy, you, or anyone else not to try this, but when I realized he was talking about a hard drive install I understood why it wasn't likely that I would recognize his problem.Originally Posted by A.O.Q.
Personally, I went with an install of Debain (sarge, I think). It's getting better but Knoppix is still far nicer in configuring things and looks a lot better after booting than Debain looks after an install on my system. But understand that Knoppix is first and foremost a Live CD. The scripts that have been made to help install it on hard drive always seems to have pesky little problems (sometimes just permissions set wrong), but they just don't seem to be getting fixed. Until I see reports of nice clean installs, I'm going to stick with releases intended for hdd install, like Debian.
Have you actually done the HD install yet? If so, what 'style' of HD install did you do?...must have been a Knoppix style if it's trying to create fstab.Originally Posted by bugsy
Or are you still running from CD? If so, did your Knoppix CD work OK before you created the new partition? Possibly Knoppix is having problems recognising the new partition if it hasn't been formatted yet; try formatting it.
It sounds like maybe this is a problem box, what sort of problems did you have trying to install gentoo & debian?
You shouldn't have to create partitions ahead of time to install Knoppix, the installer will do that for you.
Your boot problem: If you got to a knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ prompt you should be logged on in console mode, perhaps the problem is with trying to start X which is usually related to video graphics card setup. Try 'startx' or 'kdm' from the knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ prompt.
knoppix nodam is a misprint, should be knoppix nodma.when i type it knoppix nodam at the boot prompt it runs untill it gets to scanning for hard drive partitions etc
when i type knoppix26 nodma at the boot prompt i get the window again
But he said now ive a coloured desktop screen with a window inside saying shell in the top left corner, doesn't that sound like X is already running, ratther than just being in a text mode shell?Originally Posted by CrashedAgain
before i partitioned my hdrive the install got stuck at scanning hdrives for partitions and creating etc/fstab.HARRY KUHMAN suggested a couple of ideas but they led me to a coloured background with a window inside,it was inside this window that i got the knoppix prompt...............any way ive reformatted my hdrive and put lindows back on for now....................untilli get somemore memory.....................thanx for all the advice
Sounds like X without desktop or window manager. Only xterm is started at the top left corner, not even border.Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
dont know,all im trying to do is find a o.s i like ,can use and learn on.i got 2 pc,one dual boot= windows xp pro+fedora core 3.the other pc i want just for linux but it isnt powerfull enough for fedora 3 so i want something that will work ok on it...[ at the minute i only found lindows will] as i keep coming up with problems.and where i live no one knows linux
I just replace the SUSE 9.0 install on this box with Knoppix 3.7 HD install. Went like a charm.!Originally Posted by A.O.Q.
I booted the CD. When KDE came up I opened a console and typed "sudo knoppix-installer" and hit enter.
An option dialog appeared and gave me three choices. I began by selecting the first choice (knoppix install) but backed out when I noticed it defaulted to ext3 as the filesystem. I then selected the 3rd option (Debian install) and at the appropriate place selected ReiserFS as my filesystem.
After that and a few other question it took 10-20 minutes to install, I don't remember exactly how long but it wasn't long.
After I rebooted and KDE appeared again I selected "Knoppix->Network/Internet->Internet Card configuration.
It asked me if I wanted DHCP. I entered yes and it configured DHCP.
Now that I had my cable modem connected I su'd to root then entered
agt-get update; apt-get upgrade; apt-get autoclean
and when everything was done I entered
updatedb
If you want to see what other packages you can load then open KPackage and click on the "uninstalled" tab. Browse the files and click on what you like.
Click the "Install" button. A dialog will appear listinig the app you selected and all necessary dependencies. There is also a "test" checkbox showing.
Click it and then click install. (Some where around here you'll get asked for the root password).
If you see "Result=0" in the right panel then things are OK! Just uncheck "Test" and click "Install" again to actually install the app.
For something really interesting go out to the 'Klik" website and try out the cmg files.

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor
$114.99
Intel Core i7-8700 3.2 GHz 8 GT/s LGA 1151 Desktop CPU Processor SR3QS
$67.99
AMD Ryzen 5 9600X 9000 Series Desktop Processor CPU Retail Box
$130.00
INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH
$179.99
Intel SR3XE Core i5-8500 3.0GHz 9M Socket 1151 6-Core CPU Processor *Tested*
$32.99
Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor
$39.00
Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor
$14.49
Intel Core i7-7700K SR33A 4.20GHz 4-Core LGA1151 CPU Processor
$62.95
PS5 Over Heating Problem Solver 1.5 Grams Liquid metal thermal paste CPU, GPU
$15.99
LAST BATCH *Brand New-Sealed* AMD Ryzen 9 9950X3D2 Dual Ed. 4.3GHz 16Core AM5
$768.00