-
Senior Member
registered user
Add the imm, ppa and usb mass storage modules with modconf. Then when these modules are loaded one of them should help the drive be recognized. imm and ppa are in the kernel/drivers/scsi section. To install them just highlight it and enter through. Must be root. usb mass storage is there somewhere, you'll have to look around. Try the first 2 then add other if they do not work.
-
Senior Member
registered user
I have a similar issue. I purchased a 256MB Cruzer Micro for under $20.00
I thought I could use it to transfer images from a old G3 Mac I have ( I've never gotten linux to read HFS+)
I was able to get the usb flash drive to mount but I couldn't write to it and then I would also get an error
" line 20 in ftab is bad" I deleted the line I made in fstab but does anyone know a quick how-to on usb flash drives?
Thanks
Update: I just found this how-to: http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/post-147912.html
Haven't tried it yet.
I tried this how-to and it did not work i.e. I got the "bad superblock, bad fs, too many mounted FS error"
When I use usbdevfs as the file system the drive can be mounted and unmounted but I can not write to it.
I checked and chmod my permissions but no luck. the message is just can not write "file'/mnt/Cruzer.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Someone might take offense that I say this but I mounted this flash drive in suse with no problem.
I mean, no anything just stuck it in the usb port the machine beeped and 10 sec later
the device icon mounted to my desktop (read&write).
Knoppix has many great features I love it, and it has some failings too.
-
Senior Member
registered user
According to the link above you have to edit the fstab with this entry:
/dev/sda1 /mnt/usbflash vfat noauto,users,rw,umask=0 0 0
To do this, login as root and edit with kate or kwrite. Open-->devices-->partition that is /-->etc-->fstab, just in case you can't find it. Add the line in the middle somewhere,I don't think it really matters.
create a directory:
mkdir /mnt/usbflash
Then I don't know if you have to create a device on your desktop, but try it and see what happens. Like adding a zip drive, you have to add pretty much this same stuff and add the imm module. Hope this helps.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
rrfish72
According to the link above you have to edit the fstab with this entry:
/dev/sda1 /mnt/usbflash vfat noauto,users,rw,umask=0 0 0
To do this, login as root and edit with kate or kwrite. Open-->devices-->partition that is /-->etc-->fstab, just in case you can't find it. Add the line in the middle somewhere,I don't think it really matters.
create a directory:
mkdir /mnt/usbflash
Then I don't know if you have to create a device on your desktop, but try it and see what happens. Like adding a zip drive, you have to add pretty much this same stuff and add the imm module. Hope this helps.
I did all that, but thanks. Actually there is a thread here at the knoppix forum that comes to the conclusion ( I didn't bookmark it) that these Cruzer usb flash drives don't work in knoppix. BTW I have no problem editing fstab I have a digital camera that works fine.
-
Senior Member
registered user
have you tried to reformat it under knoppix? it "might" work, but it might also destroy it... it made my "noname" work under linux.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
OErjan
have you tried to reformat it under knoppix? it "might" work, but it might also destroy it... it made my "noname" work under linux.
Thanks for all the response this is a really supportive forum!
Even though this is a rather inexpensive flash drive I don't really want to risk trashing it.
As I mentioned above it mounts in suse without doing anything.
I do 90% of my work in knoppix and the other 10% falls to slackware & suse
plus I can access those other partitions in knoppix so that's how I'll leave it for now.
Thanks again
-
Junior Member
registered user
USB Disk Mounting
I'm running a Windows 2000 destop (Fat32) with the 3.7 CD wriiten to a fat32 folder (TOHD cheatcode). I boot from the Knoppix 3.7 CD as user "knoppix", with the FROMHD cheatcode ,and the boot switches to my windows drive (/dev/hda1) 10 seconds into the startup. I also have an old Seagate 4.3 GB drive conected via a USB 1.0 external enclosure. Knoppix sees that as /dev/sda when I boot up. I used QTParted to make two partitons on the USB drive, a 2.3GB linux partition to use as a persisten home directory, (/dev/sda1) and a 1gb Swap file (/dev/sda2). Provided I turn the power on for the drive, Knoppix sees both of them with no modification necessary. My suggestion is this: Connect you usb device, stick, drive, whatever, power it up if it needs external power, and then boot from the knoppix CD. When the KDE destop apears , look for /dev/sda1 on the destop. if it's not there, it probably isn't on the knoppix compatability list. I can see /dev/sda1 as a drive icon, but it was originally read only. I changed it to read write once, and it has stayed that way. /dev/sda2 isn't visible, but I see a line in the startup screen that confirms than Knoppix has mounted it. I've heard that as of Linix kernel 2.6, USB devices are notw being assigned /dev/USBx codes instead of sharing the SDAx with the scsi devices, but that doesn't seem to affect the Knoppix 3.7 boot CD . If the boot CD can't find it, I don't see how a HD install could . LIke Phil Jones's free guide "Knowing Knoppix" says , Not Everything Works. C'est la Vie !
Similar Threads
-
By sakura_candy in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 0
Last Post: 12-23-2006, 06:22 PM
-
By mouse8469 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-11-2006, 06:12 PM
-
By Neno in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-30-2004, 07:29 AM
-
By benmayim in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 7
Last Post: 08-21-2003, 12:49 PM
-
By cascadefx in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 03-02-2003, 04:38 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor
$114.99

(LOT OF 4) Intel Core i5 Processors Different Gens
$249.99

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH
$179.99

Lenovo ThinkCentre M920s SFF Barebones PC Motherboard PSU DVD No CPU RAM SSD
$27.99

Intel Core I7-7700 SR338 3.60 Ghz Processor
$39.99

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor
$39.00

Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor
$14.49

Intel Core i7-7700K SR33A 4.20GHz 4-Core LGA1151 CPU Processor
$62.95

Intel Core Ultra 7 265K CPU Desktop Processor LGA 1851 20-Core - New
$284.79

AMD - Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core - 16-Thread 3.4 GHz (4.5 GHz Max Boost) w/ Ice Pad
$355.99