Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: USB disk mounting

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    5

    USB disk mounting

    I have a problem.
    I have an external usb disk and when I boot Knoppix there is no usb disk icon on desktop.
    Can anyone help me in mounting it?

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Posts
    96
    Try
    sudo mount /dev/uba1 /mnt/test

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    4

    Here is what helped me:

    First, I was able to access my usb drives only on kernel 2.4.7. After boot no USB storage devices are visible.

    sudo fdisk -l

    displays only my HDD even if I have some USB disks plugged in.

    If sudo fdisk -l is able to find some partitionson on /dev/sda or /dev/sdb, you probably do not need this. If not, try
    sudo insmod ehci-hcd

    After this fdisk actually can see partitions and I can just mount them normally.

    Funny thing is that there seems to be some kind of daemon that creates mount points for usb drives plugged in (like /mnt/sda1, mnt/sdb1, and so on). But it does not mount them. So, to mount your drive you can just
    sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1. mount /mnt/sda1 might work too - I have not tried.

    Hope that helps.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    5

    Re: Here is what helped me:

    Quote Originally Posted by nick666
    Funny thing is that there seems to be some kind of daemon that creates mount points for usb drives plugged in (like /mnt/sda1, mnt/sdb1, and so on). But it does not mount them. So, to mount your drive you can just
    sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1. mount /mnt/sda1 might work too - I have not tried.

    Hope that helps.
    Ok, I will try this few comands. But, since I'm new in linux, I don't know exactly where to write these commands in. Can you give me just a tip?

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    5

    Re: Here is what helped me:

    Quote Originally Posted by Neno
    Quote Originally Posted by nick666
    Funny thing is that there seems to be some kind of daemon that creates mount points for usb drives plugged in (like /mnt/sda1, mnt/sdb1, and so on). But it does not mount them. So, to mount your drive you can just
    sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1. mount /mnt/sda1 might work too - I have not tried.

    Hope that helps.
    Ok, I will try this few comands. But, since I'm new in linux, I don't know exactly where to write these commands in. Can you give me just a tip?
    Regard this , I figured out where to write it. But one main problem still remains: the name of my usb device, since with sda1 or sdb don't work. How and where could I get this information?

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Posts
    96
    Did you try
    sudo mount /dev/uba1 /mnt/test

    Note the device name of uba1

    I'm assuming this is an external IDE disk connected via USB...

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2
    There is no /dev/uba1

    How can I mount it?

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by georgmaass
    There is no /dev/uba1

    How can I mount it?
    True!! There is no uba1. I don't know what to do. Where can I find informations of devices names?

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Neno
    Quote Originally Posted by georgmaass
    There is no /dev/uba1

    How can I mount it?
    True!! There is no uba1. I don't know what to do. Where can I find informations of devices names?

    Get root access
    # su -

    Try to load usb-storage driver
    # modprobe usb-storage

    Make sure it's loaded
    # lsmod |grep usb

    Look for sda, sdb, etc. in tail of dmesg output
    # dmesg

    If nothing similar appears I don't know further. If successfull, try fdisk -l /dev/sda (sdb, etc) or mount /dev/sda as recommended before.

    I hope it helps

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2
    With Kernel 2.4 the stick appears as sda with no partitions. WIth Kernel 2.6 it appears as uda.

    The usb hard disk does not appear at all. Also Windows does not mount it does it try to format it. So I don't know how to use it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Trouble mounting/copying from ntfs disk
    By sakura_candy in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-23-2006, 06:22 PM
  2. Help Mounting Hard Disk
    By mouse8469 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-11-2006, 06:12 PM
  3. USB disk mounting
    By Neno in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-30-2004, 07:29 AM
  4. mounting iomega zip disk
    By benmayim in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-21-2003, 12:49 PM
  5. mounting a zip disk as knoppix user
    By cascadefx in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-02-2003, 04:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



Western Digital 1TB 3.5

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive

$34.99



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4 picture

Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4

$39.00



Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$14.99



Seagate 3.5

Seagate 3.5" Desktop HDD 3TB SATA III 6Gbps HDD 1ER166-510

$39.99



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$318.99



Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS picture

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS

$184.99