Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: How to mount/unmount a CD ROM?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    7

    How to mount/unmount a CD ROM?

    Hello,

    I was wondering about how one mounts/unmounts a CD ROM... I tried from a console prompt to type as root: mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom but it does not work. I tried other combinations such as /dev/scd0 /mnt/scd0 as well but without any success.
    In MEPIS it was much easier, one just clicked on the icon and selected either Mount/Unmount. I am talking about the standard CD-rom[cdrom] icon on the desktop, not the icon that is displayed following the choice from Control Center/Behaviour/Device Icons/Show device icons (option). If I select that, it works but I can not eject the CD after having unmounted it. I am really lost here. What is the right way to mount/unmount a CD under Knoppix?

    Thank you

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    536
    Symlink the device first by doing ln -sf /dev/scd0 /dev/cdrom and the delete the icon on your desktop and create a new one by right clicking and selecting create new device and then selecting the correct device (dev/cdrom(/cdrom)) and then you should be able to use the drive.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338

    Re: How to mount/unmount a CD ROM?

    Quote Originally Posted by anton123
    Hello,

    I was wondering about how one mounts/unmounts a CD ROM... I tried from a console prompt to type as root: mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom but it does not work. I tried other combinations such as /dev/scd0 /mnt/scd0 as well but without any success.
    In MEPIS it was much easier, one just clicked on the icon and selected either Mount/Unmount. I am talking about the standard CD-rom[cdrom] icon on the desktop, not the icon that is displayed following the choice from Control Center/Behaviour/Device Icons/Show device icons (option). If I select that, it works but I can not eject the CD after having unmounted it. I am really lost here. What is the right way to mount/unmount a CD under Knoppix?

    Thank you
    Chances are, the icon on your desktop is faulty, mine always were... You should be able to mount, and umount the cdrom by use of the Command Line, and after changing the icon on the desktop, through that icon as well...

    to do it with the command line, you should only have to type in the following:
    mount /dev/cdrom

    the mount, and umount, commands use what is provided in your /etc/fstab file... you do not need to type out the "mount point", that is provided in the fstab file already... to un mount the cdrom you would just insert a "u" in front of your mount command, like so:
    umount /dev/cdrom

    If you cant mount the cdrom through the command line, it can either be that your fstab file has problems, or your symlinks that point /dev/cdrom to the actuall device are in error...

    Try the command line again, both as root, and as your user, and maybe post back any error messages that it displays... If you can mount the cdrom through the command line, and not with the icon, then your icon needs to be changed...

    Hope this helps,
    Ms. Cuddles

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    21
    I to have this problem and get the following error message..............

    mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/cdrom,
    or too many mounted file systems
    any ideas
    steve

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    20
    Phil Jones's free download "knowing Knoppix" really helped me out here. On page 48 he lists a command you can run as root from the root shell ( etc/init.d/autofs restart ) . basically, this unmounts all the file systems then remounts them , so close all your work before you do this. After that, the standard commands are mount and umount. I have trouble with the eject button not working, and the /etc command fixes that.

    One weird situation I have is that th cd drive works fine for data files, and K3b burns cd's all day long, but most programs refuse to see .mp3 files or commercial music cd's If I left click on the dirve, it says "not mounted". Konqueror says there is nothing to see. The Cd audio program XMMS won't even open the CDrom location.
    If, however, I go to VIdeo packages, and open XINE, I click on the CD button, and XINE sees the music CD's and the mp3's just fine . Go figure .

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    Quote Originally Posted by rgarden
    Phil Jones's free download "knowing Knoppix" really helped me out here. On page 48 he lists a command you can run as root from the root shell ( etc/init.d/autofs restart ) . basically, this unmounts all the file systems then remounts them , so close all your work before you do this. After that, the standard commands are mount and umount. I have trouble with the eject button not working, and the /etc command fixes that.

    One weird situation I have is that th cd drive works fine for data files, and K3b burns cd's all day long, but most programs refuse to see .mp3 files or commercial music cd's If I left click on the dirve, it says "not mounted". Konqueror says there is nothing to see. The Cd audio program XMMS won't even open the CDrom location.
    If, however, I go to VIdeo packages, and open XINE, I click on the CD button, and XINE sees the music CD's and the mp3's just fine . Go figure .
    Check xmms->options->preferences, make sure that the CD inout plugins & audioCD plugins are enabled. On my system the files on the CD will show up in /cdrom not not in /cdaudio or /mnt/auto/cdrom. My problem with xmms & cd's is that it sends the output to never-never land instead of making sounds....it seems to be playing just fine but no output if reading from CD. Output is through arts which works OK reading from files on HD.

    Kaffeine works, so does Konqueror's AudioCD browser & sidebar media player.

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    20
    Thanx Crashed;

    I still can't get Konqueror to see an audio cd , and I have no Konqueror Audio Browser, even though I'm running V3.7, but I don't care any more. I googled over to Kaffeine to see what that was about . Kaffeine took me to Klik, and .... KLIK is FANTASTIC
    Klik doesn;t even seem to intall on 3.7 , I just paste the url into Alt F2, and go out to the store . Pretty amazing to a newbie like me
    Anyway , Kaffeine works fine, with a little button on the taskbar, Xine works fine as well, Kongueror is till a bust , but 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

    I also have a problem with volume, but it sems to be in Kmixer. I have to have the Kmixer sound level pegged to the max or I get no sound at all. I guess Knoppix isn't thrilled with my soundcard. Try playing something with evey volume control you can find maxed out.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    CrashedAgain
    *** The only thing I can think of, about your no-sound-from-cdrom issue, is, is the audio cable connected from that cdrom to your sound card, or not? XMMS can read from the "data" cable, and does read from the audio cable. I had it working back when I was running Knoppix v3.4, I had two cdrom devices, and only one had the audio cable, but XMMS could play both devices. Another thought is, make sure all of your volume controls are working; you'll have one in the mixer, and one in your player; check that your player isnt going around your mixer, and that when you change your volume in the player, your mixer changes as well... My best guesses here...

    RGarden
    *** You can not view an audio cd, you can only play it... An audio cd is not formatted in ISO9660 format, and thus, you can not mount it. I havent tried this yet, but, I think if you have an audio cd with mixed text or data, is a hybrid format, and you might be able to mount and view that, but, I am not sure of this. If you put a data cd in your cdrom, you should be able to mount that perfectly though. As it stands right now, Linux can read data cd's, and only audio cd players can read audio cd's -=- this is the last thing I have heard, it may have changed with the newer versions of Knoppix / Debian / Linux, but, I dont think so...

    Hope this helps,
    Ms. Cuddles

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    I don't think my problem is a hardware connection issue, other apps such as Konqueror's sidebar media player can play from the CD just fine, only xmms has problems. It seems to be playing; the graphic symbol 'thingy' (love those hitech terms) looks like it is playing but the output is going ??? ie no sound from the speakers.

    R Garden: apt-get kdemultimedia-kio-plugins (I think that is the correct package name, browse the applictions list with kapackge to be sure) to get the audiocd protocol for konqueror.

  10. #10
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    44
    My big problem with my cdrom is that all the sudden i can't eject the tray if its mounted. It never used to do this. (I'm positive of that fact because i was transfering files like a mutha the first couple days i had knoppix installed)

    There something i screwed up to enforce this rule? :P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Why is unmount taking so long?
    By tearinghairout in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-05-2006, 05:47 PM
  2. How do I unmount a swap?
    By bashhelp in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-10-2005, 12:40 PM
  3. i can't unmount my cdrom
    By waellinux in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-18-2005, 05:36 AM
  4. cannot unmount knoppix cd
    By roland in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-07-2004, 09:01 PM
  5. How to unmount a CD?
    By Blue in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-17-2003, 05:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$316.61



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$349.48



Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1

Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1" WQXGA OLED 165Hz Core i9-14900HX 16GB 1TB RTX 5070

$1469.00



1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive picture

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive

$86.95



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



External Solid State Drive USB 3.2 Gen2, 1TB SSD External Hard Drive with C to A picture

External Solid State Drive USB 3.2 Gen2, 1TB SSD External Hard Drive with C to A

$100.00



Dell Precision 7670 i7-12850HX 2.1GHz 32GB 1TB NVMe 16

Dell Precision 7670 i7-12850HX 2.1GHz 32GB 1TB NVMe 16" A1000 Win 11 Pro: Good

$649.00