Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Lilo: Configure to allow running of PMI?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    5

    Lilo: Configure to allow running of PMI?

    Very impressed with Knoppix 3.6 - thanks are due to everyone involved, and to the posters on these forums.

    Managed to do full HD install on 2nd hard disc, set up Lilo for Linux24, Linux26, and Win98 - all working fine. Want to be able to run PMI (copy of /KNOPPIX from CD to root directory of device, renamed as K36d to distinguish from the CD version) from a USB stick, but machine cannot boot from USB. Can boot it from floppy and it 'finds' the USB PMI ok. Is it possible to set up Lilo so that I can select an option to run USB PMI from the Lilo boot screen without using floppies?

    I thought that I might be able to put linux24 and minirt24.gz somewhere on hda or hdb, and use an "append" to tell knoppix to look for the USB directory? I assumed I had to make the same directory structure as on the CD. I first tried a dummy run on hdb1 (Win98 partition) to see if I could get PMI to run from a hard disc from Lilo, but Lilo rejected this entry in the .conf file:

    other=/dev/hdb1
    image=/K36d/boot/isolinux/linux24
    label="Knoppix 3.6"
    initrd=/K36d/boot/isolinux/minirt24.gz
    append="ramdisk_size=100000 lang=uk apm=power-off hda=scsi hdb=scsi #hdc=scsi hdd=scsi hde=scsi hdf=scsi hdg=scsi hdh=scsi nomce "
    read-only

    Is it ever possible to use Lilo to initiate PMI?

    If so, any pointer to the relevant directory structure would be helpful. I could probably work out the Lilo.conf entries from there.

    Once again, many thanks to everybody, in so many threads, which I found useful before taking the plunge!

    Islander

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    164

    Re: Lilo: Configure to allow running of PMI?

    Quote Originally Posted by Islander
    Managed to do full HD install on 2nd hard disc, set up Lilo for Linux24, Linux26, and Win98 - all working fine. Want to be able to run PMI (copy of /KNOPPIX from CD to root directory of device, renamed as K36d to distinguish from the CD version)

    I thought that I might be able to put linux24 and minirt24.gz somewhere on hda or hdb, and use an "append" to tell knoppix to look for the USB directory? I assumed I had to make the same directory structure as on the CD. I first tried a dummy run on hdb1 (Win98 partition) to see if I could get PMI to run from a hard disc from Lilo, but Lilo rejected this entry in the .conf file:

    other=/dev/hdb1
    image=/K36d/boot/isolinux/linux24
    label="Knoppix 3.6"
    initrd=/K36d/boot/isolinux/minirt24.gz
    append="ramdisk_size=100000 lang=uk apm=power-off hda=scsi hdb=scsi #hdc=scsi hdd=scsi hde=scsi hdf=scsi hdg=scsi hdh=scsi nomce "
    read-only
    Instead of what you describe, copy the linux24 and minirt24.gz to the /boot folder of your installed linux but name them as linux24.K36d and minirt24.K36d.gz. Then remove the "other=/dev/hdb1" from the above and change the section to the following:
    Code:
     image=/boot/linux24.K36d
     label="Knoppix 3.6"
     initrd=/boot/minirt24.K36d.gz
     append="ramdisk_size=100000 lang=uk apm=power-off hda=scsi hdb=scsi #hdc=scsi hdd=scsi hde=scsi hdf=scsi hdg=scsi hdh=scsi nomce fromhd=/dev/hdb1"
     read-only
    So now lilo should have no problem finding the kernel and initrd, and then knoppix uses the "fromhd=/dev/hdb1" to find the KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX file on /dev/hdb1 (i.f you want to rename the file or the folder for the large cloop file which is the only other thing you need, then you need to use the cheatcodes knoppix_dir=somedir and/or knoppix_name=some.iso, otherwise it must find /dev/hdb1/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX).

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    5
    Good advice, worked first time - thanks very much. Lilo now lets me run Poor Mans Install (PMI) from Windows drive D:, or from USB stick (using two extra Lilo entries).

    While I was at it, because knoppix wasn't seeing my CD-Rom drive, I then added nodma to the append statements - that was suggested in the hardware forum, I think. CD's working now, too.

    Also illustrates that the Knoppix boot options will constrain the HD install start-up, as well, if required/wished.

    Again, many thanks, and for such a prompt reply, too.

Similar Threads

  1. How to configure Lilo to boot Knoppix?
    By smolk in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-20-2006, 09:48 AM
  2. Configure LILO
    By hellospencer1 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-18-2006, 01:33 PM
  3. Can I configure power options for a laptop running KNOPPIX?
    By johnfila in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-15-2005, 12:54 PM
  4. How to configure rsyncd running on Knoppix LiveCD
    By jsavage in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-26-2005, 12:05 PM
  5. configure lilo after knoppix 3.4 hd install
    By dakota201 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-10-2004, 04:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS picture

Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS

$127.54



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor   picture

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor

$50.00



For Parts - Lenovo ThinkServer TS460 Part Number: 70TT-0020UX picture

For Parts - Lenovo ThinkServer TS460 Part Number: 70TT-0020UX

$149.99



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$179.98



Intel Xeon W-3245 16-Core 3.2GHz (SRFFD) Apple MAC PRO A1991 CPU Processor picture

Intel Xeon W-3245 16-Core 3.2GHz (SRFFD) Apple MAC PRO A1991 CPU Processor

$199.99



Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU picture

Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU

$7.95



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99



HP Z440 Workstation TWR Xeon E5-1603 v3, 8GB RAM, NVS310, SB1570, NO SSD/OS #95 picture

HP Z440 Workstation TWR Xeon E5-1603 v3, 8GB RAM, NVS310, SB1570, NO SSD/OS #95

$89.99