Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: How do I boot the 2.6 kernel from the 3.6 Live distro CD??!!

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    23

    How do I boot the 2.6 kernel from the 3.6 Live distro CD??!!

    Happy New Year all!

    I have dabbled with Linux for a few hours at most in the past, but I've now decided to get stuck into it. What with Windows being, er, not that fabulous. Anyway.... I got the Knoppix 3.6 Live CD distro and it always boots into the 2.4.x kernel. I'd like to know if it's possible to boot with the 2.6 Kernel on this distro, and how you do it. I want to do this because I've heard that there are some issues with my wireless card under the 2.4 kernel, and other posts say that they've had more success with the 2.6 version. So how do i boot the 2.6 kernel from the boot screen the CD gives me? Eventually, once i see it all works, I'll install Knoppix onto my Hard drive proper. Can't you tell I'm a n00b, it's probably dead simple....

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    Sure, at this screen http://shots.osdir.com/slideshows/sl...se=167&slide=1 if you hit F2 or F3 it will give you cheat codes. To boot 2.6 kernel type the following & then hit enter:
    knoppix26

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    692

    Re: How do I boot the 2.6 kernel from the 3.6 Live distro CD

    Quote Originally Posted by iD:0t
    I'd like to know if it's possible to boot with the 2.6 Kernel on this distro, and how you do it. I want to do this because I've heard that there are some issues with my wireless card under the 2.4 kernel, and other posts say that they've had more success with the 2.6 version.
    FWIW, I strongly suspect that including both kernels in Knoppix is causing problems, particularly with wlan drivers. In my experience, it appeared that Knoppix was looking for the driver in the wrong place, and the error appeared to be caused by the effort to create two kernels. For this reason alone (as well as others), I would recommend a Knoppix derivative called Kanotix (www.kanotix.com). It standardizes on the 2.6 kernel, and certainly seems to have much fewer code errors. Also, the developers seem to participate more in eliminating these errors. To be fair, I don't use wireless very often, so I haven't tried it with Kanotix. However, I DO know that I never got it working with Knoppix.

    jd

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    23
    Thanks very much guys!

    I'm sure I'll be back with some more easy problems in future.... :P

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    23

    A Thousand Thankyou's!

    Thanks very much guys!

    I'm sure I'll be back with some more easy problems in future.... :P

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    65
    FWIW, I strongly suspect that including both kernels in Knoppix is causing problems, particularly with wlan drivers. In my experience, it appeared that Knoppix was looking for the driver in the wrong place, and the error appeared to be caused by the effort to create two kernels. For this reason alone (as well as others), I would recommend a Knoppix derivative called Kanotix (www.kanotix.com). It standardizes on the 2.6 kernel, and certainly seems to have much fewer code errors. Also, the developers seem to participate more in eliminating these errors. To be fair, I don't use wireless very often, so I haven't tried it with Kanotix. However, I DO know that I never got it working with Knoppix.
    That was my experience too, but I never realized that the two kernels coexisting was the problem. In any case, Kanotix rocks!

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-15-2006, 02:34 AM
  2. Live distro with TeX
    By rookworm in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-09-2005, 11:37 AM
  3. Boot different kernel on Live CD?
    By fwheeler_1 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-17-2005, 07:27 PM
  4. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-02-2005, 11:02 PM
  5. [DISTRO] New distro Knoppix-Gentoo based (Gulp!)
    By silian87 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-15-2004, 06:46 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Commodore 128 C128 Computer FOR PARTS / REPAIR Untested Missing Key No Cords picture

Commodore 128 C128 Computer FOR PARTS / REPAIR Untested Missing Key No Cords

$149.99



TeensyROM+ TR+ v0.4 Cartridge for C64/128 - w/ Case & 32GB SD Preloaded picture

TeensyROM+ TR+ v0.4 Cartridge for C64/128 - w/ Case & 32GB SD Preloaded

$89.50



Commodore 1541  154I Floppy Disk Drive 5.25in 5-1/4 FOR PARTS PR REPAIR READ picture

Commodore 1541 154I Floppy Disk Drive 5.25in 5-1/4 FOR PARTS PR REPAIR READ

$60.00



Commodore OS USB | Bootable LIVE + Install | The Ultimate Gaming Linux OS | NEW picture

Commodore OS USB | Bootable LIVE + Install | The Ultimate Gaming Linux OS | NEW

$11.99



Commodore 64 C64 Computer & RF TV Switch Cable UNTESTED NO POWER SUPPLY AS IS picture

Commodore 64 C64 Computer & RF TV Switch Cable UNTESTED NO POWER SUPPLY AS IS

$104.99



Commodore 64 Serial Cable 6PIN DIN 1541 1571 C64 128 C128 Disk Drive Printer USA picture

Commodore 64 Serial Cable 6PIN DIN 1541 1571 C64 128 C128 Disk Drive Printer USA

$10.49



Commodore 1541 Emulator PI1541 HAT with ROTARY, OLED screen, USA Seller picture

Commodore 1541 Emulator PI1541 HAT with ROTARY, OLED screen, USA Seller

$29.99



Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ* picture

Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ*

$199.99



Commodore VIC-20 Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller picture

Commodore VIC-20 Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller

$39.99



RARE Commodore MPS801 Printer - 1st printer for the 64 - powers on picture

RARE Commodore MPS801 Printer - 1st printer for the 64 - powers on

$70.00