-
Knoppix just a toy w/o real support
I would if I could, as I am not satisfied with certain proprietary software (which will not be named). but without actual support, Knoppix is just a curiosity. I will wait for the day when a real, viable alternative becomes available.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Knoppix just a toy w/o real support

Originally Posted by
mgilley
I would if I could, as I am not satisfied with certain proprietary software (which will not be named). but without actual support, Knoppix is just a curiosity. I will wait for the day when a real, viable alternative becomes available.

What is actual support ? There are commercial linux distro too. Or you can try ubuntu that is definitely new kids in the block. With the much enhanced hardware detection(even found in newer debian), Knoppix is quickly returning back to its original use, quick boot live CD for rescue and the like, not a permanent desktop.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Knoppix just a toy w/o real support

Originally Posted by
mgilley
I would if I could, as I am not satisfied with certain proprietary software (which will not be named). but without actual support, Knoppix is just a curiosity. I will wait for the day when a real, viable alternative becomes available.

Depending upon how you define "real support", you may prefer Kanotix, a Knoppix derivative. On the one hand, the Knoppix community is much larger, and there are a lot more people to help you. On the other hand, the Kanotix developers appear to take more of a "hands-on" interest in helping users and developing the product to fit user needs (IMO). On a practical note, it seems as though both forums have many of the same participants.
jd
-
on the other hand...
Here I am, in Knoppix! As long as I can get online, what could happen? So what if it takes half an hour to do it?I've even got an extra cdrom for when this one burns out!
But seriously, folks...I want to drop W-------- like the bad habit it is.Does anybody know why I can't boot xcept failsafe? I've tried every combo of cheats, no go.
BTW how to post output of lspci?
Similar Threads
-
By chris-harry in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 06-02-2005, 03:36 PM
-
By braverma_jom in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 8
Last Post: 03-21-2005, 04:52 AM
-
By EmDee in forum The Lounge
Replies: 0
Last Post: 12-09-2004, 06:20 PM
-
By chris-uk in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-08-2004, 08:38 PM
-
By JockVSJock in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 01-19-2004, 04:37 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)
$10.00

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit
$19.99

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive
$5.99

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED
$11.99

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)
$7.57

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick
$20.85

Knoppix NSM 1.2
$8.00

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick
$21.42

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM
$7.00

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006
$34.01