-
Junior Member
registered user
Urgent help requ'd: HP Compaq nx9105 and Knoppix
Hi & Seasons Greetings to all
I need to buy a new laptop urgently and am considering the HP Compaq nx9105 with AMD 3000+ processor. It's on sale and appears to be good value by European price standards.
But they won't even boot it up in the store on WinXP, let alone allow me to boot from a Knoppix livecd - it's a buy-it-in-the-box job, or not at all (12-month warranty). Options are limited where I am.
Can anyone tell me if they have successfully booted Knoppix on this machine?????
Google reveals that it will apparently run SuSe 9.1, Mandrake10, Gentoo, and Gentoo livecd (albeit with considerable tweaking and hacking in some cases). However I can find nothing about Debian or Knoppix running on it.
Really appreciate any help if you have access to one of these laptops.
EDIT: It is said this is basically an R3000Z-series laptop with 64-bit disabled and less on-chip cache. There is anecdotal evidence that R3000Z will boot Knoppix here: http://home.gagme.com/greg/linux/compaqr3000z-fc3.php
And R3000 can definitely be coaxed to run Debian http://cmb.phys.cwru.edu/kisner/linux/compaq-r3000/
But is this good enough to assume Knoppix will boot on nx9501 -- after all it is not exactly the same machine?
Info on running SuSe, Mandrake etc on nx9105 is here: http://www.linuxquestions.org/hcl/sh...p?product=1563
Specs are here http://www.hp.se/includes/library/19609.pdf
-
Senior Member
registered user
I have't tried Knoppix on an HP laptop, but I have run it successfully (live CD and PMI) on HP desktops. One HP oddity that you need to be aware of is that HP sets up a recovery partition, to enable reimaging back to factory specs. Oddly enough, the recovery partition is hda1, and the Windows C: partition is hda2.
jd
-
Junior Member
registered user
Wouldn't boot
I tried knoppix-3.2-MiB-11b livecd on this in the store and it wouldn't even boot into failsafe - I'm really pissed off as I want this laptop.
Any suggestions?
-
Senior Member
registered user
A lot has changed since 3.2. The boot process changed with 3.4, so try something more recent. Kanotix has great hardware detection. I would burn a BHX disk and try it before giving up.
jd
-
Junior Member
registered user
Yes I noticed elsewhere that Kanotix is said to boot on another AMD XP-M laptop -- so it might conceivably work.
On the r3000 forum someone said that Knoppix up to 3.6 would definitely not boot on this, but another poster said 3.7 might.
-
Junior Member
registered user
I downloaded a Knoppix 3.7 distro on December, and I really like it. What I like best is that I put the CD into my dell CPXI laptop with an Orinoco Classic Gold "B" pcmcia wifi card, and 3.7 saw everything except for a small usb mouse I travel with. If Knoppix did not automatically see everything, I wouldn't be using it. Which is more important to you, the PC, or the OS ? TRY BEFORE YOU BUY !!!!
Similar Threads
-
By jfreeman in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-02-2006, 09:21 AM
-
By kopfhorer in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 3
Last Post: 01-09-2006, 06:36 PM
-
By sam1967 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 10
Last Post: 06-21-2005, 01:37 AM
-
By virtualoverride in forum General Support
Replies: 11
Last Post: 02-26-2005, 05:12 PM
-
By dams in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-26-2003, 03:40 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$60.00

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$330.73

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$545.25

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1746.47

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive
$86.95

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$129.99

1TB Portable External Hard Drive USB 3.0 Storage Backup for PC Mac Laptop
$29.99

Seagate Desktop 1TB/1000GB SATA 3.5" HDD Hard Drive
$29.99