Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Urgent help requ'd: HP Compaq nx9105 and Knoppix

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    12

    Urgent help requ'd: HP Compaq nx9105 and Knoppix

    Hi & Seasons Greetings to all

    I need to buy a new laptop urgently and am considering the HP Compaq nx9105 with AMD 3000+ processor. It's on sale and appears to be good value by European price standards.

    But they won't even boot it up in the store on WinXP, let alone allow me to boot from a Knoppix livecd - it's a buy-it-in-the-box job, or not at all (12-month warranty). Options are limited where I am.

    Can anyone tell me if they have successfully booted Knoppix on this machine?????

    Google reveals that it will apparently run SuSe 9.1, Mandrake10, Gentoo, and Gentoo livecd (albeit with considerable tweaking and hacking in some cases). However I can find nothing about Debian or Knoppix running on it.

    Really appreciate any help if you have access to one of these laptops.

    EDIT: It is said this is basically an R3000Z-series laptop with 64-bit disabled and less on-chip cache. There is anecdotal evidence that R3000Z will boot Knoppix here: http://home.gagme.com/greg/linux/compaqr3000z-fc3.php

    And R3000 can definitely be coaxed to run Debian http://cmb.phys.cwru.edu/kisner/linux/compaq-r3000/

    But is this good enough to assume Knoppix will boot on nx9501 -- after all it is not exactly the same machine?

    Info on running SuSe, Mandrake etc on nx9105 is here: http://www.linuxquestions.org/hcl/sh...p?product=1563

    Specs are here http://www.hp.se/includes/library/19609.pdf

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    692
    I have't tried Knoppix on an HP laptop, but I have run it successfully (live CD and PMI) on HP desktops. One HP oddity that you need to be aware of is that HP sets up a recovery partition, to enable reimaging back to factory specs. Oddly enough, the recovery partition is hda1, and the Windows C: partition is hda2.

    jd

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    12

    Wouldn't boot

    I tried knoppix-3.2-MiB-11b livecd on this in the store and it wouldn't even boot into failsafe - I'm really pissed off as I want this laptop.
    Any suggestions?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    692
    A lot has changed since 3.2. The boot process changed with 3.4, so try something more recent. Kanotix has great hardware detection. I would burn a BHX disk and try it before giving up.

    jd

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    12
    Yes I noticed elsewhere that Kanotix is said to boot on another AMD XP-M laptop -- so it might conceivably work.

    On the r3000 forum someone said that Knoppix up to 3.6 would definitely not boot on this, but another poster said 3.7 might.

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    20
    I downloaded a Knoppix 3.7 distro on December, and I really like it. What I like best is that I put the CD into my dell CPXI laptop with an Orinoco Classic Gold "B" pcmcia wifi card, and 3.7 saw everything except for a small usb mouse I travel with. If Knoppix did not automatically see everything, I wouldn't be using it. Which is more important to you, the PC, or the OS ? TRY BEFORE YOU BUY !!!!


Similar Threads

  1. Urgent: Need to rescue info from HD, knoppix isnt showing it
    By jfreeman in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-02-2006, 09:21 AM
  2. URGENT QUESTION - Using KNOPPIX to recover data
    By kopfhorer in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-09-2006, 06:36 PM
  3. URGENT - Knoppix or DEBIAN ofr HD install ???????
    By sam1967 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-21-2005, 01:37 AM
  4. Urgent Problem: Hard Drive severely corrupted by Knoppix...
    By virtualoverride in forum General Support
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-26-2005, 05:12 PM
  5. g un pb urgent!
    By dams in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-26-2003, 03:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



Seagate Constellation ES.3 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | ST2000NM0033 picture

Seagate Constellation ES.3 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | ST2000NM0033

$40.00



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4 picture

Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4

$39.00



Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$14.99



HGST HUS726060ALE610 0F23001 6TB HDD 3.5

HGST HUS726060ALE610 0F23001 6TB HDD 3.5" SATA 6Gb/s 7.2K Hard Drive (V6315)

$61.56



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$318.99



(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE

$199.99