Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Password Length Limit in Knoppix

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    342

    Password Length Limit in Knoppix

    I've been reading an article about the newest rage in Windoze security: password phrases. Passwords are out. Pass phrases are in at M$.

    Pass phrases are very easy to remember and can be pretty long without too much extra typing hassle.

    I was wondering what the length limit is on a pass phrase in Knoppix?

    Does it do spaces? (I'm at work right now, otherwise I'd test it)

    sakiZ

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Have you read this: http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/se...3.en.html#s3.4

    I don't personally use spaces in linux, never, ever. If something needs a char between words I use an underscore.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    342

    MD5

    I can see the logic of not using spaces. A dead give away word separator.

    OK, I read about MD5. I don't recall this in the Knoppix install.

    Is it an add on utility?

    sakiZ

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    md5 is something you should activate as it increases the significant characters in your password to more than 8. All explained in that link a lot better than I could do.
    In a nutshell, say you have the following passwd: goodpass£TFJ8-#:
    Without md5 only the first 8 chars would be used and "goodpass" isn't really a good password

Similar Threads

  1. code omitted because of length
    By newbie36 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-13-2007, 05:05 PM
  2. It looks like squash fs does not have the same 2 gig limit
    By nvgringo in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-14-2006, 04:53 AM
  3. Is there a limit on how big NTFS partition Knoppix can load?
    By hsp in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-09-2005, 09:07 AM
  4. BLock size/image length
    By warawara in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-15-2004, 05:45 PM
  5. Average European Vacation length?
    By Duffin444 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-09-2003, 05:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY picture

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY

$10.00



Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



Samsung 128GB (4x32GB) DDR4 PC4-2666V ECC Server RAM 288-Pin M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Y picture

Samsung 128GB (4x32GB) DDR4 PC4-2666V ECC Server RAM 288-Pin M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Y

$699.99



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix picture

DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix

$66.00



G.SKILL FLARE X5 64GB (2 x 32GB) 6000 MT/s DDR5 (AMD EXPO + INTEL XMP) *CL30* picture

G.SKILL FLARE X5 64GB (2 x 32GB) 6000 MT/s DDR5 (AMD EXPO + INTEL XMP) *CL30*

$785.00



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00



Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2-800 PC2-6400 240-Pin DIMM picture

Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2-800 PC2-6400 240-Pin DIMM

$145.00



Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G) picture

Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)

$89.99