Here's the ultimate Live CD for anyone doing java programming:
http://moe.tnc.edu.tw/~kendrew/pollix/
Any remastered Knoppix or live CDs that include (1) a Java SDK [not just JRE, not gcc] and (2) a Java IDE like Eclipse and maybe even (3) Tomcat ? STUX (http://gpstudio.com/stux) is supposed to include a real SDK, but it's hardware detection doesn't seem to get along with my machines so I can't get any time with it.
Thanks !
rcs
Here's the ultimate Live CD for anyone doing java programming:
http://moe.tnc.edu.tw/~kendrew/pollix/
Whoa -- that has got to be the best tip I've received all year ! Seriously though, this is exactly what I was hoping for and more (like WAY more!). I really, really appreciate the post -- you ROCK !!! Thank you so much !
Regards,
rcs
You're welcome. Yeah, Pollix saved my butt last semester. I was taking Programming II and I used Pollix on a couple of PC's at work to do my homework. The PC's ran Windows XP and I didn't have administrator rights so I could install Java on the PC's. The Pollix Distro and a simple reboot saved the day.
nice bodhi... ive been trying to get my hand on a live cd dedicated to programming...![]()
Pollix Rocks! Like I said it saved my a$$ last semester.
How is this CD distributed. I was thinking of making my own remaster like this but found that the java jdk is not covered under the GNU public license and is not considered open source.
Regards,
AJG
It is freely distributed at the link above. I believe that it is located on a server outside of the USA. I don't question wether it is legal or not I just use it. As you have pointed out anyone could build their own distro with Java SDK if they wanted to, Pollix saves everyone the trouble of creating their own. That way people have more time to use Java instead of struggling to create their distro.

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$549.00
Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$100.00
Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -
$39.99
Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot
$119.99
Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5" SATA III SSD - Preowned
$29.00
Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99
2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON
$28.00
Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive
$42.99
Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive - Black...
$30.00
Intel Solid-State Drive DC S3500 Series 240GB Internal 2.5" (SSDSC2BB240G4P) SSD
$29.99