-
amazed
I am a Linux newbie and Knoppix is thee first flavor of Linux I have ever ran (or seen running) I am figuring stuff out slowly but surely and I have since installed an old version of Caldera on my home box.
The whole Knoppix program is absolutly amazing. I can't belive that it works on so many different systems with out any major problems. I carry the cd with me and pop it into any computer I see.
The one thing that truly suprised me was that it reckonized my generic USB/10 100 Ethernet adapter. No windows program had drivers for it. I can connect to the Internet on my laptop now.
3 things I want to figure out/learn how to do (remember I've never even seen a running Linux box before)
1) Save my Knoppix preferences to a floppy so I don't have to change/restet them every time I boot.
2) Browse my home network using SAMBA (i'm clueless)
3) Is there a "task manager" Somthing that shows Processer useage, memory useage etc. Also that lets me Kill processes. I have an older P2 Celeron 366 laptop with 128 MB of RAM. Is there any task/processes that I can kill so that the machine runs a little faster?
Linux is cool.
-
1)Are you running 3.1 or 3.2? 3.2 has persistent-home and a configuration saver on it. Just go to KNOPPIX on the application starter and you'll find them. Persistent-home means that applications preferences and data are saved on your hard drive. This can go anywhere even on a DOS partition. The configuration saver will put information about networking and hardware setup on a floppy. Both programs are fairly self expalnitory.
2)Don't know anything about SAMBA myself. Hope someone else can help here.
3)The GUI way:
System > KDE System Guard
and then click on Process Table
The shell way:
ps -A
each process has a number so then use
kill ###
-
Junior Member
registered user
Re: amazed

Originally Posted by
Yeti
2) Browse my home network using SAMBA (i'm clueless)
There are a number of options here.
1) Use Konqueror; type smb://computername/share in the adresbar
2) Use LinNeighborhood not all Knoppix versions have this program, but i think it is nice
3) Do it the old-skool way on the command line:
"smbclient -L computername" lists the shares on a computer
"smbmount //computername/share/ ~/mnt/mountpoint" mounts a share on ~/mnt/mountpoint (you have to make that directory first)
There are probably some other options as well, but these are the options I personally use.
Very much so
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell PowerEdge T140 Xeon E-2224 @ 3.40GHz, 8GB Ram, NO HDD's, NO OS
$399.99

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$381.93

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700
$289.99

Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM)
$299.95

New Dell PowerEdge Server R360 Xeon E-2488 3.2G 16GB RAM 4X800GB SSD 6x600GB SAS
$3890.00