Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: captive-ntfs not working under 3.7 but fine under 3.4

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    7

    captive-ntfs not working under 3.7 but fine under 3.4

    Help.

    I have managed to get captive-ntfs working with knoppix 3.4, I have since downloaded the 3.7 iso and have tried to mount -t captive-ntfs -o uid=root,gid=root /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 under 3.7 and it just hangs, where as this works fine on 3.4.

    I am trying this on the same version of windows (XP sp1) and I have added the missing user and group "captive" on 3.7 with no luck.

    no messages are entered in /var/log/messages.

    this is very frustrating.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    7
    I have notived that captive-ntfs is 1.1.4 on 3.4 knoppix and 1.1.5 on knoppix 3.7,

    has onyone a definitive solution to get captive-ntfs workign on 3.7, please....

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    7

    more info

    Hi and help !!

    I have managed to successfully get your driver working under knoppix 3.4 using 1.1.4 and writing to a XP sp1 machine. But am having great difficultly under 3.7.writing to XP sp1 machine and Xp 2 and windows 2000 and 1.1.5.

    +XP SP 1 machine & version 1.1.5
    captive-install-acquire picks up all modules but the ntoskrnl.exe even though I have copied the the files from a working 3.4 configuration to /var/lib/captive. After a through search it finds the ntoskrnl.exe file and the process disappears.

    I then try a mount ( mount -t captive-ntfs //dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 and this process then displays the version number and the authors name and hangs and never comes back to a prompt. Ctrl+ C is needed but no messages are ever produced..
    =============
    + XP SP2 and windows 2000 ( both behave the same) version 1.1.5
    captive-install-acquire picks up all modules but the ntoskrnl.exe even though I have copied the the files from a working 3.4 configuration to /var/lib/captive. During a search oy my local drives the process stops and just says killed.

    I never get as far as being able to try a mount.
    ============

    I have notted form the knoppix forum that under version 3.7 the captive user and groups are not created, I have created these manually but with no more or less success. Where is this user and group actually used as the u/g does not have access to var/lib/captive but root does.

    Nothing seems to get logged under messages for any machines.
    Is there a detailed list of instructions anywhere ?

    Does the exact versions of ntfs.sys & ntoskrnl.exe etc depend on which type of ntfs partition you need to access (NT, 2000, XP and 2003 NTFS) ?

    I appreciate any help.
    ()This has been posted on knoppix forum and the captive-ntfs mailing list.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    7

    success !

    I have now found the following will allow me to read & write to NTFS partitions

    using Knoppix 3.7
    1) create user captive and group captive, ensure captive user has a primary group of captive ( home directory is /var/lib/captive and all options are unchecked.) uid and gid numbers does not need to be anything specific.

    2) copy the ntfs.sys, ntoskrnl.exe, cdfs.sys & fastfat.sys to /var/lib/captive

    3) then run mount -t captive-ntfs /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 and the system should be mounted. ( note that the filesystem seems to need to be unmount to write any changes to that filesystem)

    Also ensure the the md5 check sums for the ntfs.sys, ntoskrnl.exe, cdfs.sys & fastfat.sys are listed in /etc/w32/-mod-id-captivmodid file other wise the mount command will just hang.

    I have successfully written to XP sp1 and XP sp2 and windows 2000 NTFS drive using the files from XP SP1a serivce pack.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    4

    Help from Captive-NTFS veteran

    I read your message and tried to use it as a guide but can't get captive-NTFS working on Knoppix 3.7 or Helix 1.5.
    Neither seem to want to work in 2.6 mode, but I can't get them to work on 2.4 either, although I get closer.

    * On 2.4, it looks like it mounts fine. I see and can read the entire NTFS filesystem structure. I can also create a file on the NTFS mount and can then read it, but it is not persistant. If I reboot or try to access the NTFS drive directly, the file was never created on the NTFS drive.
    No errors are given in my process.

    * On 2.6, it gasps out some stuff about LUFS and doesn't complete.

    I'm doing the following:

    Loading Knoppix/Helix in 2.4 mode.
    mkdir /mnt/dosc
    captive-install-acquire (wait until it grabs the krnl and other files available on the distro),
    hit skip, skip to get out of the acquirement process
    I modify etc/group to have "captive:101"
    I modify etc/gshadow to have "captive:*::"
    useradd -gcaptive -d/var/lib/captive captive
    mount -t captive-ntfs /dev/hde1 /mnt/dosc

    I'm new to this stuff, so I'd appreciate any help any of you can offer.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    164

    Re: Help from Captive-NTFS veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by r204d
    I read your message and tried to use it as a guide but can't get captive-NTFS working on Knoppix 3.7 or Helix 1.5.
    My understanding of it is that captive-NTFS will not work with files captured from a machine upgraded to XP SP2 so that's the first thing to check!

    If you aren't on SP2 then I haven't helped you at all but perhaps Imight help someone else reading this.

Similar Threads

  1. unable to write to NTFS with captive-ntfs
    By harry66 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-30-2005, 05:03 PM
  2. almost got captive-ntfs working
    By cessna1501 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-18-2005, 08:41 AM
  3. Captive NTFS on Knoppix 3.6 and WInXP / NTFS hard drive
    By itaydagani in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-02-2005, 12:53 AM
  4. captive ntfs - mount ntfs (reade/write) through icon
    By terminator in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-12-2004, 10:52 PM
  5. 02/09/2004 HD Install and captive-NTFS working?
    By Durand Hicks in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-22-2004, 11:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$100.00



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



Samsung 1TB SSD BM91H 1TB (MZ-VMA1T00) Internal SSD M.2 picture

Samsung 1TB SSD BM91H 1TB (MZ-VMA1T00) Internal SSD M.2

$135.00



Seagate Desktop 1TB/1000GB SATA 3.5

Seagate Desktop 1TB/1000GB SATA 3.5" HDD Hard Drive

$29.99



Apple Mac Pro 2019 1TB OEM SSD Kit-832GB +128GB - 656-0122/ 656-0121 picture

Apple Mac Pro 2019 1TB OEM SSD Kit-832GB +128GB - 656-0122/ 656-0121

$69.99



Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1746.47



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive picture

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive

$86.95



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$545.25



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$330.73