-
Just wanted to post a quick message to everyone here. I've been working with Knoppix for about 3 weeks now trying to get my WLAN to work. I've been searching these forums many many many times trying this and that. And after reading this forum I've finally got my wireless card to work!!!!!!!!! So know for the first time I'm surfing the net in Konqueror!!
A big thanks to all those people out there!!!
-
Just wanted to post a quick message to everyone here. I've been working with Knoppix for about 3 weeks now trying to get my WLAN to work. I've been searching these forums many many many times trying this and that. And after reading this forum I've finally got my wireless card to work!!!!!!!!! So know for the first time I'm surfing the net in Konqueror!!
Congratulations! Details please...
-
The biggest thing that helped me was that I did a HD install so I could write files directly to the HD. When I was trying with the Live CD I kept getting an error, either that
iwconfig wlan0 essid any
operation not supported.
Or that etc/ndiswrapper not found
After that I was able to do everything like grant said in his HowTo.
Specs:
Wireless card Belkin F5D7000 ver 1000
Used Ndiswrapper with bcmwl5a.inf
followed grant's instructions
oh and one other thing that helped was I moved my card from PCI slot 2 to slot 1.
-
Success!! Altho... had to go with Mepis instead of Knoppix. But that beats going back to Windoze, right?
Recap: I was able to use the drivers that came on the CD for my Belkin F5D7000 wireless PCI card. (Note: my chipset is ralink, not broadcom.) I used ndiswrapper to get the job done. What I did that worked for me was pretty much as Alistair stated earlier.. The only difference was when I had to manually pump my card, I used the system center in Mepis.
Alistair, Grant, etc... you all are great! Thanks!
-
Update... My set-up worked but only for a little while...
My system freezes up after a while. I am trying to eliminate the source of the issue but am getting frustrated in the process. I realize now that my system is optimized to run under Windows. It has on-board video for example. I was able to get its winmodem to connect in Linux when I had dial-up service though. I was pretty happy about that! What I want to try to do is use a native Linux driver for my Ralink chipset wireless card. But I am stymied at the process of doing this. I have downloaded the tar file, unzipped it but have gotten stuck where I am told to copy a "2.6.7 Makefile". It does not seem to exist in order to be copied. The search continues...
-
Junior Member
registered user
I have to say I'm pretty clueless when it comes to building software from source.
But have you checked about to see if there are any .rpm or .deb packages that you could use to save the hassle of from-source compilation?
Try using KPackage.
Hope that helps.
Alistair.
Similar Threads
-
By ecspike in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-15-2005, 07:28 AM
-
Replies: 0
Last Post: 12-22-2004, 05:52 PM
-
By sventhebrit in forum Networking
Replies: 11
Last Post: 11-18-2004, 10:42 AM
-
By extricator71 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 09-14-2004, 07:20 AM
-
By corwinspyre in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 07-26-2003, 03:46 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡
$109.99

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P
$149.99

Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management
$249.97

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port PoE Gigabit Switch (Renewed)
$361.91

Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply
$7299.99

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch
$79.99

Juniper QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48 x 1/10/25GB SFP28 + 8 x 40/100GB Switch w/Dual AC
$10499.99

Juniper EX2300-C-12P 12 Port Gigabit PoE+ 2x10G SFP+ Managed Compact Switch
$179.99

Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord
$174.99

Juniper EX4300-24P 24 Port Gigabit PoE+ Switch.
$95.42