-
Boot up question
Is there a way that you can make a dual boot that Auto boots to one OS unless you push a certain key during boot up. I dont mean a menu, and then an auto select after a timer runs out, but something more like the CMOS control program. Thank you for any help.
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Re: Boot up question

Originally Posted by
adamherb
Is there a way that you can make a dual boot that Auto boots to one OS unless you push a certain key during boot up. I dont mean a menu,.....
I'm not clear what your issue is with a menu. XOSL does present the boot up options that you configure as a menu, but can be set to default to one of the selections if you don't pick from in menu in a user determined number of seconds. If you don't want to wait you can select a choice from the menu or you can type a number key that corresponds to the menu position that you want.
-
Basiclly this is what I want:
If you push the power button, and just let it boot, it will boot into windows.
If you push a certain key during the boot up, say enter, then it boots into Linux.
It would work just like the BIOS configuration program, as long as you dont push the button, it goes right to windows.
Sorry if this makes no sense either.
-
Junior Member
registered user
That's called a bootloader, and depending on how you set up your Knoppix/Windows, you'll be using some combination of the NT bootloader (which is part of XP) and LILO or GRUB. All 3 of these tools provide the functionality you're looking for, in different ways. I believe Knoppix uses LILO by default, but I don't know the details of setting it up, since as I explained in your other thread, I'm currently fighting with it. I caution you to be careful of making Windows unbootable (I've done it once..) but others here can inform you much more reliably than I..
-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
adamherb
Sorry if this makes no sense either.
I understand what you want, just not the logic behind it. Functionally, XOSL does just that, but it does display a boot menu while the timer gives you a chance to boot other than the default item. Other than trying to be sneaky and not show the menu, I don't see the difference.
I don't know of any program that does just what you want without a menu. On the other hand, the source code for XOSL is available here and the source code for Smart Boot Manager is available here, so if you really really want to make a version of either that doesn't display a menu when it boots you should certainly be able to do so.
-
I share the computer, and the other people would get confused by a menu
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
If the computer has a floppy you could also make a Smart Boot Manager floppy, leave the computer's MBR set to boot Windows, and insert the floppy when you want to iboot another partition or boot a CD (if installing another OS to hard disk be sure NOT to install lilo or grub in the MBR, install one of them to the partition the Linux system is on).
-
That sounds good about the floppy thing. How do you do that? Is there a guide or something?
-
Junior Member
registered user
Just install Knoppix with the bootloader going in /BOOT instead of /MBR (its one of the setup options), and then let it create a floppy during the install process. You can use the floppy to boot Knoppix.
-
Thanks! Ill do that. Are there any other settings that I have to remember, or any things that I need to know for an install. The documentation section seems to be down.
Similar Threads
-
By jasonpinko in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 12
Last Post: 07-06-2005, 12:20 AM
-
By tfwarlord in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-05-2004, 02:25 AM
-
By neofile in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-22-2004, 01:21 AM
-
By oded in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-15-2004, 03:34 PM
-
By PhantomOSX in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-26-2003, 12:37 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

IBM Storwize V5000E V5030E SAN Storage Control Enclosure Server w/ Dual 02PX517
$1249.99

IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU
$225.00

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series
$375.00

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$179.99

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD
$1599.99

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU
$999.99

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$110.30

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)
$150.00

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620
$199.99

IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012
$109.99