Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Boot up question

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    72

    Boot up question

    Is there a way that you can make a dual boot that Auto boots to one OS unless you push a certain key during boot up. I dont mean a menu, and then an auto select after a timer runs out, but something more like the CMOS control program. Thank you for any help.

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Boot up question

    Quote Originally Posted by adamherb
    Is there a way that you can make a dual boot that Auto boots to one OS unless you push a certain key during boot up. I dont mean a menu,.....
    I'm not clear what your issue is with a menu. XOSL does present the boot up options that you configure as a menu, but can be set to default to one of the selections if you don't pick from in menu in a user determined number of seconds. If you don't want to wait you can select a choice from the menu or you can type a number key that corresponds to the menu position that you want.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    72
    Basiclly this is what I want:

    If you push the power button, and just let it boot, it will boot into windows.
    If you push a certain key during the boot up, say enter, then it boots into Linux.
    It would work just like the BIOS configuration program, as long as you dont push the button, it goes right to windows.

    Sorry if this makes no sense either.

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    20
    That's called a bootloader, and depending on how you set up your Knoppix/Windows, you'll be using some combination of the NT bootloader (which is part of XP) and LILO or GRUB. All 3 of these tools provide the functionality you're looking for, in different ways. I believe Knoppix uses LILO by default, but I don't know the details of setting it up, since as I explained in your other thread, I'm currently fighting with it. I caution you to be careful of making Windows unbootable (I've done it once..) but others here can inform you much more reliably than I..

  5. #5
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by adamherb
    Sorry if this makes no sense either.
    I understand what you want, just not the logic behind it. Functionally, XOSL does just that, but it does display a boot menu while the timer gives you a chance to boot other than the default item. Other than trying to be sneaky and not show the menu, I don't see the difference.

    I don't know of any program that does just what you want without a menu. On the other hand, the source code for XOSL is available here and the source code for Smart Boot Manager is available here, so if you really really want to make a version of either that doesn't display a menu when it boots you should certainly be able to do so.

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    72
    I share the computer, and the other people would get confused by a menu

  7. #7
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    If the computer has a floppy you could also make a Smart Boot Manager floppy, leave the computer's MBR set to boot Windows, and insert the floppy when you want to iboot another partition or boot a CD (if installing another OS to hard disk be sure NOT to install lilo or grub in the MBR, install one of them to the partition the Linux system is on).

  8. #8
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    72
    That sounds good about the floppy thing. How do you do that? Is there a guide or something?

  9. #9
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    20
    Just install Knoppix with the bootloader going in /BOOT instead of /MBR (its one of the setup options), and then let it create a floppy during the install process. You can use the floppy to boot Knoppix.

  10. #10
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    72
    Thanks! Ill do that. Are there any other settings that I have to remember, or any things that I need to know for an install. The documentation section seems to be down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. disk boot question
    By jasonpinko in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-06-2005, 12:20 AM
  2. important question (boot)
    By tfwarlord in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-05-2004, 02:25 AM
  3. Another non-boot question
    By neofile in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-22-2004, 01:21 AM
  4. Boot from HD question
    By oded in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-15-2004, 03:34 PM
  5. Boot question.
    By PhantomOSX in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-26-2003, 12:37 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$316.61



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$60.00



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$349.48



Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1

Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1" WQXGA OLED 165Hz Core i9-14900HX 16GB 1TB RTX 5070

$1469.00



1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive picture

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive

$86.95



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



Dell Precision 7670 i7-12850HX 2.1GHz 32GB 1TB NVMe 16

Dell Precision 7670 i7-12850HX 2.1GHz 32GB 1TB NVMe 16" A1000 Win 11 Pro: Good

$649.00



External Solid State Drive USB 3.2 Gen2, 1TB SSD External Hard Drive with C to A picture

External Solid State Drive USB 3.2 Gen2, 1TB SSD External Hard Drive with C to A

$100.00