Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: knoppix wont boot from lilo

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1

    knoppix wont boot from lilo

    I an new to Linux and knoppix.
    I have XP on C: that is formatted NTFS, a logical drive d: that is fat32 and a Linux swap partition and a Linux partition.
    When I first installed Knoppix, my d: disappeared in XP.
    After a little research, I discovered it was because I had drive d: as a primary partition.
    I ended up copying the data to my Linux partition and deleting d: .
    I made a new logical drive d: and made it smaller.
    I used a program call Driveworks to move the leftover space to my Linux partition.
    I not really familiar with Qpartd and for some reason it wont open when I'm in knoppix, unless I boot from the CD.
    After the partition creation and resizing, knoppix won't boot and I had to boot from the CD to move my data back to the new d: drive which works great.
    I think i need to edit Lilo now to let it know how I changed the partition data, but I don't know how to edit in Linux.
    Any help would be appreciated.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    164
    You will want to edit the file /etc/lilo.conf, the easiest way is probably just to press ctrl+F2 (to run a command) and enter "sudo kate /etc/lilo.conf" which will open the file in the kate text editor (the sudo bit means you'll have permission to save the file). Then when you have made saved your changes do Ctrl+F2 again and this time run "sudo lilo" which will update lilo to use the new config. Hope that helps.

Similar Threads

  1. knoppix wont write lilo
    By gieltje in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-30-2004, 09:06 PM
  2. Knoppix wont boot with boot floppy
    By proto in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-17-2004, 11:29 PM
  3. Knoppix wont even boot
    By simmo in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-17-2003, 02:23 PM
  4. lilo wont detect my winxp partition
    By bitwarrior in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-16-2003, 03:57 AM
  5. lilo wont install to harddisk
    By dee_tt in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-02-2003, 09:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch

$46.99



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks picture

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks

$224.95



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597 picture

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597

$36.98



5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S... picture

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...

$9.64



Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts picture

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts

$69.00



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (Gs305) - Desktop Quiet Fanless picture

NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (Gs305) - Desktop Quiet Fanless

$25.99