-
NIC problems after HDD install - new to linux question...
I installed Knoppix 3.7 on a Compaq Presario V2030 turning it into a dual boot Knoppix/Debian - XP machine in order to learn linux. The current problem I am trying to solve is how to get the built-in NIC configured and working. It works fine for XP and the live CD of Morphix; I can browse the web without problems. However, if I boot from the live CD of Knoppix, I have to use the nodhcp cheat, and if I boot from the HDD install of Knoppix, the card will not work at all. I've confirmed that the correct drivers are being loaded by comparing the modconf settings between Morphix, which works, and Knoppix, which doesn't, and they are using the same drivers (Realtek RTL-8139 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter support, WinBond W89c840 PCI Ethernet support). I've compared the lsmod settings and noticed that while both mii and crc32 point back to 8139too for both distros, Morphix points 8139too to eth0 but Knoppix simply states that it is not in use or says 'initializing'. Also, 'cat /proc/interrupts' on Morphix shows that the Realtek card is using IRQ 10 while doing it on Knoppix shows no entry for the IRQ settings.
Based on some reading that I've done, I tried 'mii-tool -r' and 'netcardconfig'. Both lock the terminal session. Also, when shutting down Knoppix from the HDD install, the system locks when trying to shut down eth0.
I've considering installing Morphinx over Knoppix but would rather not, primarily because Knoppix is what I've concentrated on as the first distro of linux to learn as opposed to SuSE or Red Hat, and secondly because Morphix is not picking up my battery and can't give me a power level status while I'm working. I've also noticed some other quirks with Knoppix on this laptop but would like to get the NIC working first so I can do 'apt-get update' and 'apt-get upgrade' to see if those quirks go away getting the updates.
Can anyone suggest anything that I try, do, read that might help me solve this problem?
Similar Threads
-
By Capt. Stu in forum Klik
Replies: 4
Last Post: 10-24-2005, 10:18 AM
-
By adityasn in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 4
Last Post: 07-20-2005, 06:05 PM
-
By chiefbutz in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-29-2005, 01:31 PM
-
By Jerunk in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 06-06-2004, 04:14 PM
-
By massai in forum General Support
Replies: 9
Last Post: 12-28-2003, 02:02 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox
$620.00

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700
$289.99

Dell Poweredge R620 10x 2.5" bay with 256GB (16x16gb) DDR3, 2x E5-2690v2, H710
$349.99

Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM)
$299.95