-
Install problems please help!
Im in the middle of the installer, using the code knoppix-installer. I goit through the configuration except for the last step. I wanted to install LILO to a floppy, so that I dont get a boot menu. The only two options are root partition and mbr, i dont know how to add another. I was told to make one that i must just install it to /boot, and then make the floppy, but there is no /boot option. Plesae help!
-
Senior Member
registered user
Install it to the root partition (this means it will be installed on the partition you used as the root partition for Linux which will not impact on your existing boot loader). Then you can make the floppy after the install. If your aim for using the floppy is to keep your Windows boot loader safe, you could look at the thread on using grub to boto from an iso, the advice on using grub is just as valid for a full install. There is also a document on it in the Documentation section somewhere which should help. The short outline is that you add one line to Windows boot.ini which starts grub, and from there you can boot anything grub can boot (a regular Linux install, a poor mans install or even go back to Windows boot loader).
-
so I just install it to root, but then how do I make the floppy. I want to use the floppy to get me into Linux, because there aer other people that use this computer, and a bootloader will confuse them. I just want to leave it hidden. When I pop in the floppy it boots to Linux. SO... How do you make such a floppy after you install the bootloader to /root? Is there a part of the installation that lets you make one? Thanks!
-
Senior Member
registered user
I have to question how confusing it is to have a Grub or Linux entry added to the Windows boot manager (you can set the time out to 1 or 2 seconds so only the quick will manage to see and get to it) but that's up to you, as always with Free Software the choice is yours
The last part of the installer should be to make a boot floppy for your system, so once you have installed the mbr to the root partition (not the mbr as you still want the windows mbr) you should be asked if you want to make a floppy, say yes and follow the instructions. I think you can also run mkbootfloppy (that commands from memory I can't check now and it's been a while) from a command line to create a boot floppy if you need more copies or have changed things around (though you might need extra arguments for this to worl if you haven't rebooted into your system but are running it just after the install). You could also use dd or rawrite to copy the floppy disk if you needed to (and with the reliability of floppies you probably want an extra copy lying around so you don't have to remember how to boot from cd and create a boot floppy).
-
Junior Member
registered user
Sorry Adam, in that other thread I replied to I meant to type /root, not /boot. Anyway, Knoppix will prompt you to make the boot floppy during the actual install process.
-
I have decided to do a PMI, and that way, you have to use the cd to boot. Is there a way that you can boot from a floppy. Maybe put LILO on the floppy?
Similar Threads
-
By ciberrust in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-31-2005, 07:38 AM
-
By Sirius78 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-05-2004, 06:18 PM
-
By toe_jack in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-01-2004, 06:04 AM
-
By slackhack in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 9
Last Post: 06-01-2004, 06:13 PM
-
By rasc in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 09-12-2003, 12:27 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU
$11.00

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$350.48

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49

DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid
$139.99

Genuine Intel Xeon W-2145 3.70Ghz 8 Cores LGA2066 CPU SR3LQ Tested USA SELLER
$94.94

HP Z420 Pro Workstation PC Xeon E5-2660 8-Core 64GB RAM Quadro K5000 128GB SSD
$249.00

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor
$50.00