Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Linking Knoppix with windows

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    10

    Linking Knoppix with windows

    How can I link those two system so that knoppix will see windows partitions?

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    27
    Knoppix can see windows partitions. Even NTFS ones!

    I have no idea what you mean by "linking" though.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    I agree with IoN_PuLse. Are you trying to mount a partition off a local hard drive? Are you trying to access windows over a network? Please explain.

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    10
    My problem is that knoppix should automaticly (i think) find windows partitons and place shortcuts to them on desktop, but in my case he haven`t found them. Also the cdrom isn`t accesible. How can i make them active (or something) that knoppix will see them. Thanks for quick replying to my problem. (sorry for my english)

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    27
    Well it is supposed to, but how old is the system you are trying to use it with? Are your drives hooked up through IDE?

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    10
    I`m using knoppix 3.1 and windows me. There both on the same hdd. The windows is installed on fat32 partition and knoppix on ext2 and i`m trying to acces fat32 partitions.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Ah - you have done an installation to your hard drive and now the familiar desktop icons are no longer there. As root run cfdisk -

    su
    <password>
    cfdisk /dev/hda (change 'hda' to whichever hard drive you wish to see).
    Once you see your partitions you just need to mount them, here's an example:

    mount -t vfat /dev/hda3 /mnt/win

    I have no idea what mount points you have - you can see them like this:

    cd /mnt
    ls


    I have no use for desktop icons myself but you can create them if you like. You'll likely need to edit your fstab but to find out what partitions are already mounted look at /etc/mtab.

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    27
    Ah, I thought you were booting from the CD

    That reminds me, I should probably mount my fat32 partition on my drive that has knoppix installed....I didn't even miss it

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Quote Originally Posted by IoN_PuLse
    That reminds me, I should probably mount my fat32 partition on my drive that has knoppix installed....I didn't even miss it
    right on

  10. #10
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    10
    Thanks, that is what I had in mind but I have another question. When I mount a partition it effects only this session. How to make a partition mounted automatically after every boot? How to mount a CDROM and floppy disk?

Similar Threads

  1. Symbolic Linking
    By Jameson in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-26-2004, 09:07 PM
  2. Remastering is a breeze, but linking to home...I'm confused?
    By lcstark in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-02-2004, 03:59 PM
  3. Knoppix from windows
    By Jafa in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-15-2004, 07:07 PM
  4. Knoppix with Windows
    By kev in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-27-2004, 09:11 PM
  5. How to install WINDOWS 2000 besides LINUX and WINDOWS 98
    By legal in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-15-2004, 04:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1599.99



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU picture

IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU

$225.00



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$110.30



IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1) picture

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)

$150.00



1 X IBM 720 POWER SERVER WITH 32 GB RAM picture

1 X IBM 720 POWER SERVER WITH 32 GB RAM

$344.97



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012 picture

IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012

$109.99