Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Anyone Notice This?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    AB, Canada
    Posts
    8

    Anyone Notice This?

    This had me flummoxed for a cpl hours, so I am wondering if anyone else has noticed this.
    Using 3.2 from the 28march...when you use the KDE Control Panel to change your Xserver resolution (after creating your own root password of course), the Control panel will always default back to showing that you have a 640*480*8 destop even after you change the resolution, save your configuration and reboot the system. Is this a bug, or simply because the KDE Control Panel is always read directly from the cd and not from the pesonal configuration save?

    jirah

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    AB, Canada
    Posts
    8
    OK 50 some odd views and no one cares...guess its not that big of a deal.
    I did have a look over the instruction doc for running KNOPPIX from a hd partition (not install) and tried it out. The doc stated just to copy the 700mb knoppix file to a hd partition and create a boot floppy that will scan for the file on boot. I found this method to create nothing but 'not found' errors and a 'boot panic' crash. Wether I read the doc wrong or it was written poorly, I believe that it should clearly state that one should decompress or copy the CONTENTS of the ENTIRE .iso file to a hd partition and have the boot floppy recognise it on scan. Any comments would be welcome, I am new to the KNOPPIX following and would appreciate any words of wisdom concidering this. I have previously tried a FULL Debian install from the full cd set, but found this to cause nothing but HUGE lilo conflicts with ntfs partitions and horrible problems with my gf4 and XFree86 on a KT333 motherboard. So Knoppix is almost the perfect solution for the features of Debian but without the headache.

    jirah

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    --You have to copy j:\knoppix\knoppix to c:\knoppix\knoppix. You are copying the compressed file to a "known" directory on HD so the floppy can find it easily - not the whole iso.

    Quote Originally Posted by jirah
    OK 50 some odd views and no one cares...guess its not that big of a deal.
    I did have a look over the instruction doc for running KNOPPIX from a hd partition (not install) and tried it out. The doc stated just to copy the 700mb knoppix file to a hd partition and create a boot floppy that will scan for the file on boot. I found this method to create nothing but 'not found' errors and a 'boot panic' crash. Wether I read the doc wrong or it was written poorly, I believe that it should clearly state that one should decompress or copy the CONTENTS of the ENTIRE .iso file to a hd partition and have the boot floppy recognise it on scan. Any comments would be welcome, I am new to the KNOPPIX following and would appreciate any words of wisdom concidering this. I have previously tried a FULL Debian install from the full cd set, but found this to cause nothing but HUGE lilo conflicts with ntfs partitions and horrible problems with my gf4 and XFree86 on a KT333 motherboard. So Knoppix is almost the perfect solution for the features of Debian but without the headache.

    jirah

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    298
    Quote Originally Posted by jirah
    Wether I read the doc wrong or it was written poorly, I believe that it should clearly state that <snip>
    Okay, that's the power of Wiki. If you think the docs are wrong or at least flawed, and you know the solution, you can edit them

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    AB, Canada
    Posts
    8
    The instructions to simply copy the knoppix FILE to a hd?:\Knoppix\Knoppix folder don't work, for whatever reason, there isnt enough info in that one 700meg file to complete the boot...tonnes of errors occurr...I thought perhaps that copying the entire KNOPPIX folder from the iso into a hd?:\KNOPPIX folder would work...but that did not work either...same errors, same boot panic failure...so eventually I found that in order for it to work I had to decompress the entire ISO to the root hd?:\ in order for the boot floppy to properly load Knoppix off of that partition. If the other methods worked for ppl then thats great, but they didnt work for me, so that is what i had to do in order for the method to boot, so that I could have access to my cdrw drive whilst inside knoppix

    jirah

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    --There's *gotta* be something wrong with your method. Did you use the ' mkfloppy.bat ' file to make your boot disk?

    Quote Originally Posted by jirah
    The instructions to simply copy the knoppix FILE to a hd?:\Knoppix\Knoppix folder don't work, for whatever reason, there isnt enough info in that one 700meg file to complete the boot...tonnes of errors occurr...I thought perhaps that copying the entire KNOPPIX folder from the iso into a hd?:\KNOPPIX folder would work...but that did not work either...same errors, same boot panic failure...so eventually I found that in order for it to work I had to decompress the entire ISO to the root hd?:\ in order for the boot floppy to properly load Knoppix off of that partition. If the other methods worked for ppl then thats great, but they didnt work for me, so that is what i had to do in order for the method to boot, so that I could have access to my cdrw drive whilst inside knoppix

    jirah

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Glenview, Illinois
    Posts
    72

    Knoppix on HD

    Copy the \Knoppix directory to the ROOT directory of your hard drive. If you put the Knoppix directory in a folder, the boot floppy will not find it.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    AB, Canada
    Posts
    8
    -There's *gotta* be something wrong with your method. Did you use the ' mkfloppy.bat ' file to make your boot disk? -

    Aye...I actually made two boot floppies, one with the mkfloppy.bat and one manually with rawrite2, neither one worked with the original hd copy method, but both worked with the entire iso on the hd?:\ root.

    jirah

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    Yup, C:\KNOPPIX\KNOPPIX(the 700MB file) is all you need, which is equivalent to your entire ISO content at c:\

    Quote Originally Posted by jirah
    -There's *gotta* be something wrong with your method. Did you use the ' mkfloppy.bat ' file to make your boot disk? -

    Aye...I actually made two boot floppies, one with the mkfloppy.bat and one manually with rawrite2, neither one worked with the original hd copy method, but both worked with the entire iso on the hd?:\ root.

    jirah

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    --LOL... The rating is based on the number of posts to the forum. At this rate you should be helping ppl based on *your* responses.

    Quote Originally Posted by garyng
    How come I become a KNOPPIX master when all I have done on this forum is asking how to solve my problems ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix 3.7 does not notice my SATA HDD
    By jayan65 in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-09-2005, 04:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad 4 Bay RAID Storage Enclosure USB 3.1 Gen 2 No Drives picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad 4 Bay RAID Storage Enclosure USB 3.1 Gen 2 No Drives

$149.95



Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003

$639.69



Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD picture

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD

$265.00



9300-8i LSI SAS3008 8-Port 12Gb PCIe IT mode ZFS FreeNAS unRAID 2*SFF-8643 US picture

9300-8i LSI SAS3008 8-Port 12Gb PCIe IT mode ZFS FreeNAS unRAID 2*SFF-8643 US

$49.50



LSI 9260-8i 512MB SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller Card US picture

LSI 9260-8i 512MB SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller Card US

$29.88



Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller picture

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller

$64.99



OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00 picture

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00

$1619.30



CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go picture

CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go

$75.00



Intel System Accessory AXXRMFBU5 RAID Maintenance Free Backup Unit 105-001-405 picture

Intel System Accessory AXXRMFBU5 RAID Maintenance Free Backup Unit 105-001-405

$35.19