I have been using knoppix 3.5 hard drive install for about 3-4 months now with no problems ( just some fine tuning )
I run a lot of distros (too many ) and had run knoppix 3.3 before for about a year.
I always seem to eventually run into kppp or pppd problems. So tonight when I booted into knoppix
I was not suprised but aggravated to find that I couldn't get a connection. I just kept getting
exit status 19 from kppp. I know that means failed to authenticate but noauth is selected.
The issue here is that it was working fine for at least 3 months. I have a dial up and don't do upgades
nor have I messed with my /etc/ppp files. I got the same error message with the 3.6 live cd including kppp details as follows:
"couldn't write to /var/log/syslog.ppp /var/log/syslog /var/log/message"
I got it running on knoppix 3.6 ( running from cd ) by changing the permissions on those files.
Does anyone know what could cause this to happen? And even more importantly how to prevent it from happening again???
Follow up: Did I mention how aggravating this isOh well just need to let it go.
I can not get my hard drive install of knoppix to dial out sucessfully ppp is a mess!
I'm in debian woody r1. I can't even get knoppix to work by copying and repalcing files from a working system
I trashed all the files in /etc/ppp that are edited by pppconfig e.g. pap-secrets & others too ( I'm too tired
to remember them all-sorry) and when I ran pppconfig after deleteing my kppp config too I just did touch to create empty files
when pppconfig complained. It's working now...aggravating though and I wish I knew why it happens????

Vintage S-100 California Computer Systems cards Z80 cpu + ADS PromBlaster
$895.00
Vintage Computer - PC Innovation Intel 486DX2 - Dos Ver 6.2 Windows 3.1
$250.00
Vintage HP Hewlett Packard 2112A 21MX 1000 M-Series 16-Bit Minicomputer
$419.99
Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New
$75.00
Vintage Cherry W. Germany G80-0486H/05 Mechanical 25-Pin D-Sub Keyboard M8
$170.99
Great Condition Vintage Tandy Portable Disk Drive 26-3808 3.5 in Floppy Drive
$179.95
4 Rare Vintage S-100 Video Boards
$595.00
Vintage Timbuk2 Crossbody Messenger Bag Forest Green/ Black Y2k USA Made
$85.00
Vintage Teac FD-505 5.25" 3.5" Combo Drive 19307571-00
$199.99
NEW StarTech ATXPOWER250 250W ATX PC Power Supply Vintage Pentium II III AMD K6
$94.98