-
Senior Member
registered user
Longest download time????
ok. i just got ADSL, and its alot faster then dial up... wow... cool... anyway... it use to take me 10 days just to download a 90Mb file, now it only takes me an hour at the most... and this got me thinking...
how long do you guys spend downloading things before you give up? mine would be 10 days...
-
Senior Member
registered user
Back in the early '90s, when I was on Compuserve and had a 14.4 modem, it used to take about an hour to download a floppy disk's worth of data. (IIRC the fastest I ever got over the phone line was 28.8.) It didn't stop me from downloading a ton of stuff.
The cool thing was, my first "real" ISP ran FreeBSD, and I could log into a shell account using a terminal emulator, download something big over his fat pipe to a temp directory on his hard drive, and then ftp it from his computer to mine. (That was my first introduction to Un*x, too.)
-
Senior Member
registered user
man the memories of the internet... i am such a newie... and n00b, that i dont have such memories yet... *sigh*...
-
Senior Member
registered user
My favorite Internet memories of the mid-90s are of 1) how Compuserve, totally repulsed by the way AOL users acted on Usenet, decided that they would make you manually type in the name of any Usenet newsgroup you wanted to join, without providing a list; and 2) how most web sites looked, with grey backgrounds, default blue underlined links, etc. before web pages got really complicated.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Back on the 14.4 I'd say 10 days was my max. Of course I never downloaded anything that would take that long.
Now I'd give 2 days per gig.
-
Senior Member
registered user
what do you guys have... cable, T1, T3??? i dont know any other faster ones???
2 days per gig... wow... i would give at least 3 for me... although i did download the half-life demo (0.7 gig), in 2... which is pritty good.
-
The speed kind of depends on your ADSL, since you asked I've got 1 MB in / 512k out, so a 700MB iso takes ~1,5 h.
Beats the he.. out of BBS's with a 14k 
Of course the download speed depends on a lot of other things as well along the route to the sourcefile. Check your real speed with a speedcheck preferably located in your own country. There's some to find if you google.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
chris-harry
what do you guys have... cable, T1, T3??? i dont know any other faster ones?
Cable for me, and this might help http://bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/...ch.php?a=types
-
The longest download I remember was downloading Trumpet Winsock on a Windows 3.1 notebook (then again it was almost a competition when it came to install time vs. download time), I'm not exactly sure how long it took but I do remember not liking long downloads because I had to share a 2nd line for dial-up and download managers with resume weren't as common in most browsers. I just finished downloading a Debian ISO (650MB) and that took about 30 - 35 minutes and it averaged 300KB down, but I've had 1,200KB down also so it just depends on were I'm downloading from sometimes.
what do you guys have... cable, T1, T3??? i dont know any other faster ones?
If you think those are up there try an OC3 or OC8 line, even when T3's the computer can only take advantage of so much but with faster sites its almost like changing the channel on a TV.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
Jameson
If you think those are up there try an OC3 or OC8 line, even when T3's the computer can only take advantage of so much but with faster sites its almost like changing the channel on a TV.
I wouldn't mind an OC-255
Similar Threads
-
By mulanee in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 07-06-2006, 09:38 PM
-
By edallica in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-30-2005, 04:22 AM
-
By Tea_Fiend in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-19-2004, 05:55 AM
-
By Ritchie in forum The Lounge
Replies: 3
Last Post: 12-25-2003, 02:35 PM
-
Replies: 4
Last Post: 11-25-2003, 04:28 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

NEW Cisco Meraki MS130-48P-HW 48-Port Gigabit PoE+ Cloud Manage Switch UNCLAIMED
$2999.99

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New
$101.99

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch
$439.00

Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords
$240.00

Cisco C9200-48P-E Cisco POE Network Switch
$749.99

Cisco C3850-NM-2-10G Catalyst 3850 2 x 10GE Network Module
$30.00

nxa-pac-750w-pe v02 NEW OPEN BOX for Cisco Nexus 9300 Series power supply
$200.00

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00