Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Hanging during boot

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1

    Hanging during boot

    I am trying to use knoppix 7.3 on an acer travelmate 4002 notebook. When booting, Knoppix allways hangs at "Network Device Eth0 detected, DHCP brodcasting for ip . " I dont have anything plugged into the built in ethernet in the laptop because I normaly use wireless with it. I'v tried waiting but it stays there. Is there a way I can tell knoppix to skip this step?

    I read the instructions for the boot options but I didn't see anything there that would disable trying to get an ip adress. I know almost nothing about linux, the reason I am trying to use knoppix is for learning. I tried the cd on my friends computer and it works. I tried also using the games knoppix and it hangs in exacaly the same place. So is there a way to get knoppix to skip that step? or something else I can do to prevent it from hanging?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    In a house... hopefully
    Posts
    554
    ok... blue, i got this from the cheat codes that came with me cd...

    knoppix no{apic,agp,apm,audio,ddc} Skip parts of HW-detection (1)
    knoppix no{firewire,isapnpbios} Skip parts of HW-detection (2)
    knoppix no{pcmcia,scsi,swap,usb} Skip parts of HW-detection (3)
    ... by the way.. its one of these cheet codes... i dont know which one... hopefully i have been helpful...



    you can check your cd for more cheat codes... D:\knoppix\knoppix-cheatcodes.txt

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    'knoppix failsafe' skips all but absolutely essential HD detection & should skip DHCP detection.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    235
    Try knoppix nodhcp at boot to disable dhcp at startup. You can configure a couple of scripts afterwards to make it stick.
    See my response to this thread:http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16024 to see if that does it for you.

    HTH,

    Durand

Similar Threads

  1. Hanging during HDD install
    By ecop77 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-28-2005, 10:24 PM
  2. Hanging during boot-up...
    By mmelzer2004 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-08-2005, 02:28 AM
  3. kde hanging with new user
    By dave123 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-04-2005, 08:42 PM
  4. xdm hanging
    By bobalex in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-30-2004, 12:27 AM
  5. hanging with USB-harddrives
    By robk in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-05-2003, 10:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY picture

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY

$10.00



Samsung 128GB (4x32GB) DDR4 PC4-2666V ECC Server RAM 288-Pin M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Y picture

Samsung 128GB (4x32GB) DDR4 PC4-2666V ECC Server RAM 288-Pin M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Y

$699.99



Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix picture

DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix

$66.00



G.SKILL FLARE X5 64GB (2 x 32GB) 6000 MT/s DDR5 (AMD EXPO + INTEL XMP) *CL30* picture

G.SKILL FLARE X5 64GB (2 x 32GB) 6000 MT/s DDR5 (AMD EXPO + INTEL XMP) *CL30*

$785.00



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00



Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G) picture

Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)

$89.99



Crucial 16GBx2 (32gb kit) DDR4 3200 MHz CL22 RAM Module (CT16G4DFRA32A) Pulled picture

Crucial 16GBx2 (32gb kit) DDR4 3200 MHz CL22 RAM Module (CT16G4DFRA32A) Pulled

$129.00