Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Partimage refuses to save NTFS

  1. #1

    Partimage refuses to save NTFS

    I am using Knoppix 3.4 to save and restore my Windows XP partition (NTFS) with partimage. After doing this several times without any problems, there is suddenly the problem that after entering all parameters and starting, partimage does not start saving the partition, but displays "0%" for minutes. What can be the reason? "cat /proc/partitions" displays all partitions correctly. I also can save a VFAT partition without problems. I think that too much file fragmentation can not be the problem, because according to the partimage homepage, in this case an error message should occur. The partition to save is 15GB NTFS with about 5GB data and the image should be saved to a large VFAT partition on the same 160GB drive. I chose splitting of image to files of the size 2GB and last time I created this way successfully an image consisting of 2 files smaller than this limit. Unfortunately I don’t know much about Linux.

    The only thing that has changed after the last successful image creation is an update of the following 2 BIOS components:

    ASUS A7V600 ACPI 1006 - to version 1008
    Serial ATA RAID BIOS Setting Utility 2.01 - to version 2.31

    Can this be a problem for Knoppix 3.4 or partimage? Is it a good idea to try a newer Knoppix version? After rebooting Windows XP I see a file created by partimage at the correct path but with size zero.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    the partimage website said there would be an eror is the hardrive was not defraged, but you don't seem to get one.

  3. #3
    That's true. I dont see a corresponding message.

    In the meantime I tried a freshly downloaded Knoppix 3.7 with partimage 0.6.4 (instead of 0.6.2 as before): Now partimage exits to the bash prompt and I see an error message saying memory access error (the original german message is "Speicherzugriffsfehler"). So far I remember, partimage diplays usually a window with the main properties of the partition to be save before starting action. But obviously the error occurs before this window is displayed. What can I do?

    Thanx for any hint!

    --
    Wolfgang Beyer
    www.wolfgangbeyer.de

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    You may want to try, nodma as a cheatcode.
    It will be very slow but might work.

Similar Threads

  1. Save and Restore NTFS HDD partition over network
    By Rapthor in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-11-2006, 10:17 PM
  2. partimage, ntfs, parted and resize2fs
    By thejonreally in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-23-2005, 08:54 AM
  3. Backing up NTFS partition: partimage or ntfsclone?
    By madoka in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-19-2005, 09:37 PM
  4. Knoppix 3.4 Refuses to Boot
    By TheLousyOne in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-24-2004, 04:19 AM
  5. Using partimage to backup a ntfs partition
    By raymond139 in forum General Support
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-09-2003, 04:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Atari 1200 XL home computer with original owners guide and power supply power on picture

Atari 1200 XL home computer with original owners guide and power supply power on

$255.00



Atari 400 / 800 Computer Memory Module 16K RAM PCB CX853 - Works Perfectly picture

Atari 400 / 800 Computer Memory Module 16K RAM PCB CX853 - Works Perfectly

$18.95



Atari 1200XL Computer Game Console Vintage Rare FOR PARTS OR REPAIR READ picture

Atari 1200XL Computer Game Console Vintage Rare FOR PARTS OR REPAIR READ

$270.00



Atari Light Pen Untested  For Atari 400 800 Xe Vintage Computer picture

Atari Light Pen Untested For Atari 400 800 Xe Vintage Computer

$70.00



Atari 800XL Home Computer 64K RAM in Original Box 1984 Olympic Edition Untested picture

Atari 800XL Home Computer 64K RAM in Original Box 1984 Olympic Edition Untested

$149.99



Atari Portfolio PARALLEL PRINTER INTERFACE NOS New Open Box picture

Atari Portfolio PARALLEL PRINTER INTERFACE NOS New Open Box

$29.88



Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working picture

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working

$99.99



Broken Atari 130XE Console System 130XE No Power picture

Broken Atari 130XE Console System 130XE No Power

$129.99



Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested 48k READ picture

Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested 48k READ

$370.00



Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Only Tested READ picture

Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Only Tested READ

$300.00