Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Please help me remaster Knoppix.

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    London - UK
    Posts
    9

    Please help me remaster Knoppix.

    Hi people, I'm new to all this and would like some help on how i could remaster the Knoppix CD.

    How would i go about removing the programs preinstalled in the Knoppix CD? I dont need any secondary programs like office, web browsers, media players.....ect, all i need is the OS.

    or has anyone got a version of Knoppix which isn't 700mb?

    if your wondering why I need a copy which isn't 700mb then read this tread: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16067

    Thanks in advance for any replays

    Yong La

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewfor...f40882849d304a
    See the link in the first post. Look for Damn Small Linux.

    I don't ynderstand why you are asking this! Twenty minutes before you made this post you say right in the thread that you gave as a link OK right now I'm downloading 'Luit Linux v0.4'. Its only 50Mb so I have more then enough room for a few pictures!

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    London - UK
    Posts
    9
    hahaha... sorry!

    I can see what you mean, but I download it and it would load on my laptop. The CD booted but did not load, only a blank screen with a flashing Line.

    So I’m now thinking to my self that Knoppix load fine and recognise all my ports so I would like to stick with it, but just get rid of the other programs.

    Yong La

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    London - UK
    Posts
    9
    hahaha... sorry!

    I can see what you mean, but I download it and it would load on my laptop. The CD booted but did not load, only a blank screen with a flashing Line.

    So I’m now thinking to my self that Knoppix load fine and recognise all my ports so I would like to stick with it, but just get rid of the other programs.

  5. #5
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    So why use Luit rather tan the one I suggested in both of my responses to you, Damn Small Linux (DSL)? And why ask "or has anyone got a version of Knoppix which isn't 700mb?" in your second post when I had already pointed you to a long list of exactly what you were asking for?

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    London - UK
    Posts
    9
    I used it because I could not find DSL, I don't know it means 'Dame Small Linux' (I will use it now).

    I also asked for the small version of Knoppix because it the only one I know of that has worked with my laptop, and if some body did have it, it would make my life easier.

    You might have pointed me in the right direction but I'm finding it hard to follow, I just about undersatnd what I'm asking my self.

    I sorry if I have pissed you off and I apologise.

    y.la

  7. #7
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by yongla
    ...I sorry if I have pissed you off and I apologise.

    y.la
    I wasn't pissed off, just confused once I followed the link and saw you were asking the same "or has anyone got a version of Knoppix which isn't 700mb? " question that I thought I had already given a good link for.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    London - UK
    Posts
    9
    I also thought i might have posted my message in the wrong area as well, but your right I am asking the same question however now I know DSL is Dame Small Linux I will download it and test it out.

    Any way forget about all that post here post there. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction Harry, and I'll tell you how I get on with it.

    Yong La

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    London - UK
    Posts
    9
    FAO: Harry Kuhman

    I download dsl-0.9.1.iso and managed to add over 1000 picture on to the CD, however I'm I wrong in saying that it does not have a slide show program pre-installed, like the one on Knoppix 3.7?

    I've had a go using it but find it much harder to use, and cant seem to find a way to display pictures on full screen, any ideas?

  10. #10
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by yongla
    FAO: Harry Kuhman

    I download dsl-0.9.1.iso and managed to add over 1000 picture on to the CD, however I'm I wrong in saying that it does not have a slide show program pre-installed, like the one on Knoppix 3.7?

    I've had a go using it but find it much harder to use, and cant seem to find a way to display pictures on full screen, any ideas?
    I thought there was at least a picture viewing program, not sure about a slide show feature. But everything that's in Knoppix should be available to be added to DSL. You wanted a stripped down knoppix, and now you have one. Why not figure out what application you liked and then figure out how to add it to DSL? A remastering might certainly be needed, you're putting together a custom device after all. Or maybe you can just add some simple stuff to the iso. You might also want to read through the klik forum and see what Probono has been doing; I don't know but I suspect his work might tie in well with what you wnat to do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Remaster knoppix 4.0 Please Help
    By sav.singh in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-27-2005, 10:58 PM
  2. Help me remaster knoppix, please!!!
    By spc in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-27-2004, 08:55 PM
  3. re knoppix-remaster
    By aahicnow in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-25-2004, 03:42 AM
  4. using knoppix to remaster rh9?
    By jgking in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-30-2003, 05:29 PM
  5. I tried to remaster knoppix on hdd..but...............
    By Raj in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-05-2003, 08:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SK Hynix Server Memory 32GB (1x32GB) RAM DDR4 2400MHz HMA84GR7MFR4N Lot of 12 picture

SK Hynix Server Memory 32GB (1x32GB) RAM DDR4 2400MHz HMA84GR7MFR4N Lot of 12

$1599.99



Major Brand 8 GB PC3L-12800 (DDR3-1600) 2Rx8 DDR3L Laptop Memory RAM picture

Major Brand 8 GB PC3L-12800 (DDR3-1600) 2Rx8 DDR3L Laptop Memory RAM

$10.99



Samsung 8GB DDR4 2666MHz Desktop Ram Memory (M378A1K43DB2-CTD) Tested picture

Samsung 8GB DDR4 2666MHz Desktop Ram Memory (M378A1K43DB2-CTD) Tested

$29.99



Micron MTC4C10163S1UC48BA1 8GB RAM DDR5 4800MHz picture

Micron MTC4C10163S1UC48BA1 8GB RAM DDR5 4800MHz

$87.00



Kingston Fury Beast 32GB(2 x 16GB) KF552C36BBEA-16 DDR5 5200MHz RAM - R1031A picture

Kingston Fury Beast 32GB(2 x 16GB) KF552C36BBEA-16 DDR5 5200MHz RAM - R1031A

$299.95



SK Hynix 64B PC4-2933Y Server Memory DDR4 RAM HMAA8GR7MJR4N-WM picture

SK Hynix 64B PC4-2933Y Server Memory DDR4 RAM HMAA8GR7MJR4N-WM

$499.99



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00



Corsair CMK32GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000mhz Memory Kit - 32GB (2x16GB) picture

Corsair CMK32GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000mhz Memory Kit - 32GB (2x16GB)

$159.95



LOT OF 23 Ram Sticks-Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 4GB (4GBx23=92GB Total) picture

LOT OF 23 Ram Sticks-Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 4GB (4GBx23=92GB Total)

$129.99



Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM picture

Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM

$85.00