Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: 1GB pen drive w/knoppix image boots but cant start linux...

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2

    1GB pen drive w/knoppix image boots but cant start linux...

    Ahhh crap... I almost had it... I knew it was too good to be true.
    Here is what I did.

    Target: Lexar JumpDrive 1GB.

    Used latest Syslinux 3.01 to setup...
    Used mkdiskimage scripts as suggested.... AND IT TOOK A LONG flippling time to do whatever
    it did...

    Syslinux installed the ldlinux.sys correctly..

    Then...

    Booted with 3.7 CD and copied THE WHOLE THING onto the jump drive.
    /boot
    /knoppix
    etc.

    I copied the stuff from isolinux into the root but that did nothing...
    I believe syslinux needs a *.bs file?? because I use syslinux and
    not isolinux.

    I am not the most swift linux person so I am not sure how to make
    the corrections. This Knoppix thing needs a usbkey setup. (Now that
    usb key prices are dropping)

    I want to behave just like the cd.. but on the jump drive.

    BTW... the usb key drive prices are falling... the 1GB I got only cost $79 with
    a $20 mail in rebate.




    ScottP

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2
    I dont know if this will be of any interest to you guys.

    I have a lexar 1GB flash drive.

    From syslinux I used the mkdiskimage script and then did
    syslinux as described in the readme.usbkey.
    (the script took a REALLY long time too)

    I booted into 3.7 knoppix. Copied all the directories
    onto the key. Then copied the contents of the /boot dir into
    the root dir. I renamed isolinux.cfg to syslinux.cfg

    I had some problems because syslinux did not like the minirt24.gz file.
    I booted to a windows box and unzipped the minirt24.gz into miniroot.img

    and *BLAMMO* it booted knoppix!

    Just like the cd... I did have to fuss with the bios boot order..

    ScottP

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1
    I'll have to try this Scott, sounds nifty!

Similar Threads

  1. Need image that boots w/SSH
    By ocgltd in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-19-2005, 08:35 AM
  2. Knoppix 3.9:modifying the image on the start menu (img)
    By revaaron in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-26-2005, 01:01 PM
  3. SATA DVD drive boots 3.6 but not 3.8.2 (n00b)
    By 12p542 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-09-2005, 01:50 AM
  4. Linux boots but Windows XP does not
    By astump in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-25-2005, 12:31 AM
  5. Successfully boots from hard-drive... BUT...
    By Ewen in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-03-2003, 07:49 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$318.99



Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4 picture

Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4

$39.00



Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$14.99



Seagate 3.5

Seagate 3.5" Desktop HDD 3TB SATA III 6Gbps HDD 1ER166-510

$39.99



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS picture

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS

$184.99



Seagate ST1000VM002 1TB 5900RPM 3.5

Seagate ST1000VM002 1TB 5900RPM 3.5" SATA 6Gb/s HDD | PC DVR CCTV | | 1Y

$55.95