Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Firefox and Remastering Problem

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    16

    Firefox and Remastering Problem

    Here is my problem....

    I have used the KNOPPIX-REMASTERING script and created a custom RunLiveCD with extra game programs and edited the KDE menu to fit my needs and saved this. After everything was finished (just a little over 600mg) and testing in the chrooted envirnoment and then a successful CD run and test I realized I forgot to add FireFox. I went back into my working copy on the computer and added FireFox in a directory of the KNOPPIX user (/home/knoppix/firefox). I tested from "inside" (chrooted) and set everything up. I then exited into root and did the rm -fr /etc/skel then mv /home/knoppix then chown -R root:root /etc/skel. I then exited and did the process to clean up and then make the ISO.

    When I tested the CD the custom splash screen was gone and then KDE custom menu was gone being replaced by the standard KDE menu and the custom Firefox Application Button icon was missing BUT the other previous buttons were there.

    I've tried several different combinations to locate the problem but everything still turns out the same. The Firefox directory is still in /home/knoppix location and the total size indicated the new size. I also tried to put the Firefox directory in /opt with the other changes but it stilled turned out the same!

    Anyone have some thoughts on this?

    Thanks,

    Richard-

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The Looking Glass
    Posts
    22
    thoughts? I installed firefox on my remaster and the mozilla menu entries worked fine.

    try running firefox from a shell, all the stuff you've mentioned is menu related.

    maybe its not copying out of /etc/skel everything?

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    16
    I worked on it a little more using the previous 'master' CD that I know works with everything OK. So I started with a fresh remaster then did a 'standard install from the firefox-installer and same thing. I them wiped everything and tried it with a 'pre-existing' directory copief from the Debian 'host' systems...same error. I was using 1.0 Firefox so I reverted to a .8 and you guessed it...same problem. I've got 3 more variations planned to test what part of the process is causing the problem...BUT it's almost like it doesn't want Firefox!

    Will keep update in a day or so...

    Oh, incase anyone is interested. This is a RunLiveCD for Libraries or even college labs. I removed or "hid" some of the Linux utilities and programs and have added more games, OpenOffice and Mozilla with a custom menu to make it easier for patrons. I have nicknamed it LibraryLinux. I'm still working on getting someone to host the ISO for a long term. We are kind of strapped for bandwidth but I hope in a few days to have an ftp server up with the ISO for a limited time. I will post a note when I get ig up...WITH OR WITHOUT Firefox!

    Thanks,
    Richard-

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611
    Sometimes editing system-wide configurations instead of user-specific configurations will fix problems like that. Directories in /usr/share are system defaults for things that are also found in /etc/skel which are user defaults. Knoppix menus have plagued me in my own remaster, but enough tinkering eventually gets it straight.

    If all else fails you can always place a firefox desktop icon much like windows' IE desktop icon.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    16
    Thanks, I'll check out the 'global' menu issue. I had thought about the icon thing on desktop but have not gotten that far yet in testing.

    Thanks again,
    Richard-

Similar Threads

  1. Remastering Problem Please Help
    By DelphiEngine in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-05-2006, 08:34 AM
  2. weird firefox problem
    By jonm in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-05-2006, 08:21 AM
  3. Problem bei Remastering
    By FLOST in forum German Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-26-2005, 05:55 PM
  4. Problem with Firefox and flash player
    By lewisdw in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-05-2004, 03:50 AM
  5. Kpackage Problem installing Firefox
    By jMon54 in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-29-2004, 04:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Microbotics Starboard 2MB + SCSI Sidecar for Amiga 1000 Vintage Computer READ picture

Microbotics Starboard 2MB + SCSI Sidecar for Amiga 1000 Vintage Computer READ

$329.00



RGB2HDMI Amiga 500 UltraLong (Accelerator Friendly) HDMI Games, non-RTG A500 picture

RGB2HDMI Amiga 500 UltraLong (Accelerator Friendly) HDMI Games, non-RTG A500

$50.00



 Pi1541 Zero with Epyx Fastload Hat, Case & 16gb SD for Commodore 64 and 128  picture

Pi1541 Zero with Epyx Fastload Hat, Case & 16gb SD for Commodore 64 and 128

$79.99



Amiga Emplant Emulator Card For Commodore Amiga 2000 4000 3000 picture

Amiga Emplant Emulator Card For Commodore Amiga 2000 4000 3000

$249.00



Amiga 1000 Computer w/ Monitor Keyboard Mouse Disc Drive Sidecar Expansion Discs picture

Amiga 1000 Computer w/ Monitor Keyboard Mouse Disc Drive Sidecar Expansion Discs

$950.00



Amiga 2000 2630/CPU 68030 25Mhz picture

Amiga 2000 2630/CPU 68030 25Mhz

$300.00



Commodore Amiga 4000 Motherboard Rev B - untested picture

Commodore Amiga 4000 Motherboard Rev B - untested

$225.00



Commodore Amiga 500 Motherboard Rev 5, A500 #548 (As-Is) picture

Commodore Amiga 500 Motherboard Rev 5, A500 #548 (As-Is)

$64.75



External fully assembled GreaseWeazle 3.5 inch Floppy Drive picture

External fully assembled GreaseWeazle 3.5 inch Floppy Drive

$135.00



68000 CPU Amiga 2000 Slot Adapter picture

68000 CPU Amiga 2000 Slot Adapter

$25.00