Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Viewing DVD

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    10

    Viewing DVD

    Is there a easy way to get a Knoppix install to view encrypted DVDs?

    I read that you can install libdvdcss if you install Knoppix to the hard drive, but this doesn't help those that don't want to install to hard drive.

    I would rather not go through the trouble of rolling my own iso.

    Could I download a libdvdcss binary, install it in my home directory, and then set up the correct paths and such so that xine or ogle work? I am somewhat clueless on how to actually do this.

    I would assume that people probably do not want to customize knoppix with libdvdcss by default to avoid legal problems, but it would be nice to add these types of capabilities easily.

    Thanks!

    Ed

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    I haven't gotten this to work in Knoppix, but there is a live CD that does include libdvdcss: Linuxconsole

    http://linuxconsole.tuxfamily.org/

    The current version will play dvds with mplayer. I posted a suggestion that the author add ogle, because it gives dvd menu support and he said that he would add it in the next release.

    Another nice thing about LinuxConsole is that you can boot the cd from your dvd player, start mplayer, remove the cd and put in a dvd and play it - pretty cool.

    It doesn't have as many apps as Knoppix but it plays dvds and has some cool games too. I has built in support for Nvidia drivers. All in all it's pretty nice.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    10
    So I started working to fix this myself.

    I downloiaded the libdvdcss .dev file and used "alien -g libdvdcss.deb" to extract the library then coppied it into my /home/knoppix directory

    I set up the LD_LIBRARY_PATH
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/knoppix/:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

    And xine seems to not complauin about dvd encryption. It even goes through the VOB tracks and looks for keys, but I cannot get it to play.

    I did try mounting the dvd drive as /mnt/dvd and soft linking to /dev/dvd

    If I do not set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH I get the copy protection screen, but nothing more.

    Thoughts?

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    10

    DVD without hd install

    I finally got dvd playback working nicely for knoppix without a hd install. What I did:

    Boot knoppix in your cdrom (not dvd)

    Download libdvdcss****.deb

    to extract the executable, run:
    alien -g libdvdcss****.deb

    this makes a subdirectory containing the library. copy the library to /hom/knoppix

    run the following:
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/knoppix:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

    Change to the boot prompt using CTRL-ALT-F2

    Run passwd to set the root passwd

    Go back to KDE by CTRL-ALT-F5

    in a terminal, switch to root with su

    As root, remove the sym link in /dev:
    rm /dev/dvd

    Put in a dvd

    Make a mount point
    mkdir /mnt/dvd

    Mount the dvd
    mount -t udf /dev/scd0 /mnt/dvd

    add a sym link
    ln -s /dev/scd0 /dev/dvd

    change your DMA settings for the dvd drive
    /sbin/dparam -d1 /dev/hdc or maybe:
    /sbin/dparam -d1 /dev/hdd

    Go back as a user and fire up xine, it should work!



    Who says linux is difficult to use?

    Ed

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    gatzke,

    Thanks for posting the info on this. I wrote the faq for setting up dvds to play on the hd and i may add this info too. cool!. Have you tried Ogle? I always found that it worked a lot better than Xine.

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    10
    I could not find Ogle on the 3.2 knoppix distribution. It was not in the multimedia Kmenu area next to xine, and it was not in the default path. Maybe I am looking in the wrong places.

    Since I did not do a hard disk install, I can't just apt-get the pakcage.

    I also did not see mplayer in my intall.

    If I am wrong on these, please let me know where to look.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    298

    Re: DVD without hd install

    Cleaned it up a bit, almost script-able:
    Code:
    Download libdvdcssXX.deb
    
    $alien -g libdvdcssXX.deb 
    $cp libdvdcssXX/*.o /home/knoppix/ (copy the library to /home/knoppix, is this right? )
    $export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/knoppix:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
    $sudo su
    [$passwd] (not needed?)
    $rm /dev/dvd (as root, remove the sym link in /dev)
    
    Put in a dvd
    
    $mkdir /mnt/dvd (make a mount point)
    $mount -t udf /dev/scd0 /mnt/dvd (mount the dvd)
    $ln -s /dev/scd0 /dev/dvd (add a sym link)
    $/sbin/dparam -d1 /dev/hdX (change your DMA settings for the dvd drive)
    
    Fire up xine (ogle?)
    Ready put in the docs?

    Anyways, ever looked at Movix? The next version of K3b (1.9.0) is able to burn 'data', 'audio', 'mixed' and 'movix' CDs.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Looks like Ogle has been removed from 3.2. I hadn't noticed before.

  9. #9
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    10
    When you run alien, it creates a directory libdvdcssXX.orig The libdvdcssXX is in a subdirctory, like ./libdvdcss-2.5/usr/lib Still, most users should be able to follow the script you wrote up.

    In my case, you link /dev/scd0 to /dev/dvd because the dvdr acts like a scsi disk for writing. You may be able to get away with:
    ln -s /dev/hdX /dev/dvd

    So far I like the feel of knoppix, rather than look at other alternatives that seem like special purpose versions.

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Looks like someone else has been working on this too:

    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...522&highlight=

Similar Threads

  1. Viewing images in knoppix
    By knoppixnewbie in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-17-2004, 04:13 PM
  2. viewing my program that i use on xp with my knoppix os
    By illcuban in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-21-2003, 04:20 AM
  3. Viewing videos
    By dmedici in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-13-2003, 01:13 PM
  4. Viewing motherboard temperatures
    By pummer in forum General Support
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-13-2003, 06:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡ picture

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡

$109.99



Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P picture

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P

$149.99



Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port PoE Gigabit Switch (Renewed) picture

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port PoE Gigabit Switch (Renewed)

$344.74



Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management picture

Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management

$249.97



Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply picture

Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply

$7299.99



Juniper QFX5120-32C-AFI  32x100GbE Switch Dual AC Airflow In, Rail Kit Included picture

Juniper QFX5120-32C-AFI 32x100GbE Switch Dual AC Airflow In, Rail Kit Included

$8150.00



Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic picture

Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic

$79.86



Juniper EX2300-C-12P 12 Port Gigabit PoE+ 2x10G SFP+ Managed Compact  Switch picture

Juniper EX2300-C-12P 12 Port Gigabit PoE+ 2x10G SFP+ Managed Compact Switch

$179.99



Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch picture

Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch

$245.00



Juniper EX4300-24P 24 Port Gigabit PoE+ Switch. picture

Juniper EX4300-24P 24 Port Gigabit PoE+ Switch.

$95.62