Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Linux Software to Copy Audio CDs to HD?

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    342

    Linux Software to Copy Audio CDs to HD?

    Hi Knoopix-ites,

    No problems to report today. I just have a Linux software question. What software programs are people using to copy audio tracks from CD to the hard drive?

    Now that I have Knoppix nicely set up on my HD, I'm looking to wean myself off of Windows. Windows Media Player 10 is pretty good.

    On my Knoppix set up Kaffeine does a great job PLAYING my media files. And K3B looks likek a shoe in to replace Nero. But I am missing a method to simply copy tracks (not an image) off of an audo CD.

    Any suggestions?

    sakiZ

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Posts
    96

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    50
    I like using grip for ripping audio from CDs. It comes packaged with pretty much any distribution, and acts as a front-end for cdparanoia (and a number of cd rippers) and lame (and a number of mp3/ogg encoders). It's pretty easy to use, especially once you set a few things up. I like setting it up to auto-rip new CDs upon insertion, and to auto-eject when finished, it makes it really easy to rip your entire CD collection that way.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    Konqueror can do this. see:

    http://www.math.temple.edu/usr/share...l/ch16s04.html

    You may have to install kio plugins to get the audiocd protocol.

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    80
    K3B will work, I used it a couple of weeks ago to rip some xmas CDs we picked up over the holidays.

    I think the trick was to put the audio CD in, start K3B, and then click on the CD icon in the left top window
    area. Then you should see stuff in the right top section where the songs are listed and some controls
    should be visible for copying the files to disk. If you've got an mp3 encoder you can even burn some
    mp3 while you're at it.

    Cheers.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    342

    K3B eh?

    Wow, I can't wait to get home to try that K3B trick.

    The answer was right there all the time!!!

    sakiZ

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    Konqueror is easier & will convert to mp3. Just tried it.
    Put in the cd, go to 'services' on the navigation sidebar, select 'mp3' under the 'audiocd' tab to display the cd contents then copy & paste the selection to the HD.

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    21
    Hi all,

    Have finally managed to copy cd to hdd thanks to this post..................

    Still not a happy boy though, can k3b display the track listing by title and how do i transfer this playlist to my media player (kaffeine at present).
    As it stands i can get the files into the player and play them but they are listed as title unknown and kaffeine does not even identify the album, can these files be imported as a folder.

    Also tried to use konqueror as mentioned but could not find "services".

    Steve.

  9. #9
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    21
    Me again,

    Have found services....read the link!!!

    have tried to use the Konq route, but get the following error message.............

    Protocol not supported
    audiocd

    Also in the control centre i did not have the option to go to Audio cds, it is not in the drop down menu aftersound & multimedia, does this mean i cannot get track info or can k3b do it some way.

    Steve

  10. #10
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    30
    Hey, I'm trying to do the Konquerer way, aswell, and I got the same problem!
    I think it's because I don't have LAME (a codec, I think) I poked around and found that LAME can be downloaded in a .tar.gz format. How do I use that format? Like, what do I do with that download?

    More info: http://www.mp3-tech.org/programmer/programmers.html about half way down the page.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-06-2005, 09:49 AM
  2. Software for Linux
    By Seyyapc in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-05-2005, 12:51 AM
  3. How to copy files from livecd to a partioned linux harddrive
    By Billsrock61 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-20-2005, 08:21 PM
  4. SuSE 9.2 Live disc/ w/ Linux audio workstation focus
    By mzilikazi in forum Other Live CDs
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-18-2004, 03:47 PM
  5. Antivirus Software for Linux?
    By aravind in forum General Support
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-14-2003, 11:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description) picture

AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)

$59.00



INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR picture

INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR

$23.00



AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Desktop Processor (4.7GHz, 8 Cores, Socket AM4)  picture

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Desktop Processor (4.7GHz, 8 Cores, Socket AM4)

$150.00



Intel Core i7-4770 3.40GHz Quad Core SR149 LGA 1150 CPU Processor tested picture

Intel Core i7-4770 3.40GHz Quad Core SR149 LGA 1150 CPU Processor tested

$35.00



Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151 picture

Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151

$79.99



Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor picture

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor

$67.99



(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT) picture

(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT)

$700.00



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99