Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: HP Pavilion laptop won't load 3.4-3.6... Help!

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    10

    HP Pavilion laptop won't load 3.4-3.6... Help!

    Can anyone help me? I'm trying to boot Knoppix 3.6 on my HP Pavilion laptop, and it won't work. V3.3 boots perfectly fine and runs perfectly fine. V3.4 doesn't work, nor does V3.6. I have yet to try V3.7... The laptop is a HP ze4125. It has an 1.4GHz Athlon XP w/ PowerNow, 512MB RAM. Here's what Knoppix does: At the boot screen, just hitting enter causes the screen to just go blank, and nothing happens. Putting "vga=normal" as a boot option allows one line of text to appear saying that the linux kernel is uncompressing and that it's done, and just doesn't load anything else. Putting "failsafe" allows Knoppix to load up fine until it tries to load graphics. As soon as it is about to enter a graphical interface, the screen just gets all scrambled (mostly just lines and colors). I'm guessing that the problem is from something with the graphics board on this laptop. It has a ATI Raedon Mobile (I think... I don't use this laptop for gaming!). Does anyone have any ideas on how to get Knoppix to boot? Any boot options I should try? Remember... I'm not very advanced with Linux. The most I can do is install linux and play around with it lol, which I've done plenty of times. Thanks in advance if anyone has any help!

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Code:
    knoppix noscsi acpi=off

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    10
    Wow! Worked like a charm!! Thanks a lot!

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    10
    The only thing is... since I have to use "acpi=off", does that turn off power managment? I noticed it doesn't tell me battery power remaining. Also, can knoppix use the PowerNow speed stepping of the Athlon XP processor?

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    12
    Kanotix BHX (a Knoppix derivative) has support for AMD cpu laptop power management built-in. Try that.

Similar Threads

  1. knoppix will load, but after system starts, GUI wont load.
    By n()()dle in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-23-2004, 01:39 AM
  2. Need help on HP Pavilion ZT3000
    By stoner in forum Laptops
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-13-2004, 01:52 PM
  3. Good Grief!! Can't Load, Won't Load
    By Medicate in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-26-2004, 07:08 AM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-03-2004, 12:30 AM
  5. HP Pavilion 4125
    By nlang in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-25-2003, 04:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed picture

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed

$199.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597 picture

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597

$36.98



5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S... picture

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...

$9.64



Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts picture

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts

$69.00



Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch

$46.99



Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks picture

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks

$224.95