OK, I've successfully installed v3.6 with the 2.6-7 kernel, doing a Debian-type install from knoppix-installer. All is well.
On my last installation (from v3.3), I tried to do the upgrade to sarge "the Debian way", using dselect, & things got ugly - WindowMaker was the default Xserver, etc., etc.
My question is: what's the best method to update to sarge?
The default /etc/apt/sources.list says, "# If you want to do a "full upgrade", you should first upgrade the Packages from Debian/unstable (KDE & Co.)
before doing a (dist-)upgrade for Debian/testing."
* Huh? Does this mean upgrade KDE only, then the rest of the system? Can I use this default sources.list?
* Should I deinstall unwanted packages first, then update?
* Will "apt-get upgrade" resolve dependencies like dselect?
* Is there a definitive "upgrade howto" in this forum??

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern
$15.25
TP-Link TL-SX105 10GB 5-Port Switch - Unopened
$195.00
NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$44.99
Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99
TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99
NETGEAR ProSAFE GS105E 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Plus Switch Built for Business
$11.00
5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...
$9.64
10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99
TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed
$199.99
5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play
$31.99