-
where is cgi-bin so I can test perl scripts
I have a class of cgi/perl students, some of whom can only use Knoppix at home when not in the classroom (where we have a Redhat box). I want them to be able to run .cgi scripts through apache to test their perl scripts. They can then save the scripts in their home directory (using K menu > KNOPPIX > Configure > Create a persistent K home directory).
I cannot, however, find a cgi-bin in /var/www and, if I use sudo mkdir to create it, I cannot write to it. They can test their scripts for syntax errors (using perl -c testScript.cgi), but they cannot debug the full output from, say, test.html which calls test.cgi; this kind of debugging requires the apache server to serve the output of a perl script in .cgi form. Any ideas?
Bill Stanard
-
Hi,
(I'm running a Debian system installed from the Knoppix CD on HD, so not everything might be accurate...)
The apache configuration lives under /etc/apache/httpd.conf, searching for cgi-bin reveals: it's configured at
/usr/lib/cgi-bin
That directory is owned by user root, so the easiest might be to alter the httpd.conf and add another ScriptAlias
directive that your students can write to.
Ciao,
Thomas
-
tom p wrote: The apache configuration lives under /etc/apache/httpd.conf, searching for cgi-bin reveals: it's configured at
/usr/lib/cgi-bin
That directory is owned by user root, so the easiest might be to alter the httpd.conf and add another ScriptAlias
directive that your students can write to.
That's the part that gets me.... how can I write to a directory (/usr/lib/cgi-bin) that appears to be read only? I have had success writing only to the desktop. Am I missing something basic here?
cheers!
Bill
-

Originally Posted by
bstanard
how can I write to a directory (/usr/lib/cgi-bin) that appears to be read only? I have had success writing only to the desktop. Am I missing something basic here?
You don't need to! The directories beyond /etc (not the files though; they are symlinks) are writable;
I'd suggest to put a file "userdir.conf" into /etc/apache/conf.d/ with the following content:
Code:
AddHandler cgi-script .cgi .pl
<Directory /home/*/public_html>
Options +Includes +ExecCGI
</Directory>
Then, in your home directory create "public_html", put a cgi in there and (after starting apache) try if it works:
wget http://localhost/~knoppix/your_test_cgi_here.cgi
HTH,
Thomas
-
ok, and, by the way, thanks for the help so far....I cd-ed to /etc/apache/conf.d, vi-ed a file userdir.conf, and... rec'd the error message: "userdir.conf " E212: Can't open file for writing... when I tried to wq (save) the file... again and again I must be doing something wrong, for I can not save to any directory except knoppix's home directory... is there a switch I haven't flipped or something that I should be doing?
please advise
cheers!
Bill
-

Originally Posted by
bstanard
ok, and, by the way, thanks for the help so far....I cd-ed to /etc/apache/conf.d, vi-ed a file userdir.conf, and... rec'd the error message: "userdir.conf " E212: Can't open file for writing... when I tried to wq (save) the file... again and again I must be doing something wrong, for I can not save to any directory except knoppix's home directory... is there a switch I haven't flipped or something that I should be doing?
please advise
cheers!
Bill
try it as user "root" (i.e. for example from the "penguin" menu open a rootshell) and then create that file. That should work...
Ciao,
Thomas
Similar Threads
-
By brass in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-02-2006, 11:47 AM
-
By brass in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-30-2006, 09:30 PM
-
By madmadmod in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-15-2005, 05:14 PM
-
By pau in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-25-2004, 04:03 PM
-
By exiva in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-09-2003, 03:36 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Samsung 860 PRO 2TB 2.5" SATA III V- NAND SSD MZ-76P2T0 86%-90% Health
$187.00

Samsung Galaxy Tab S9 FE+ 12.4" Wi‑Fi 128GB 8GB RAM Tablet Silver
$255.00

Samsung 24" S3 Essential IPS 100Hz Monitor | Sealed | Fast shipping
$50.00

Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3/ 64 gig/WIFI
$85.00

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2
$81.99

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro
$81.99

Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung
$89.99

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4
$93.99

Samsung T7 Portable SSD (MU-PC2T0T) 2TB Gray USB-C
$252.00

Samsung PM9C1A 256GB m.2 2280 SSD GEN4X4 NVME MZVL8256HDJD new Laptop PC
$34.99