you may need a bootsplash patch applied to the kernel before compiling.
Don't know where else to search for this so I ask it here.
I have build a new 2.6.9 kernel and made all modifications to modules-2.6.9.20050106 so that it is copied to modules on bootup of this kernel by the S00knoppix-hd-autoconfig script.
Problem I have is that kernel 2.4.27 will allow vga=791 but no matter what I chose in .config video section via menuconfig, I can not get my new kernel to display anything after the 'BIOS DATA CHECK SUCCESSFUL' line when booting up. VGA=normal works but is too big really for seeing messages and working. vga=ask gives me everything from 0xF00 to 0xF07 as a coice for a vga display. But these options are all graphic display optioins and not vga text display options.
Can anyone tell me why and what options to set in menuconfig to make sure I get vga=791(vga=0x31working.
Just noticed that items(text etc) on my X display are also a lot bigger on my new kernel than they are on my old 2.4.27 kernel, but maybe that is because i am starting at runlevel 3, I will have to check that.
Thx.
Section of the .config file.
CONFIG_FB_VESA=y
CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT=y
you may need a bootsplash patch applied to the kernel before compiling.

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99
Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00
Seagate BarraCuda 28TB 7.2K SATA 6Gb/s 3.5in Internal HDD ST28000DM000 - Tested
$670.00
Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive
$318.99
Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4
$39.00
Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive
$14.99
HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5" 0F19459 512 b/s
$78.00
Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5" Enterprise HDD
$329.00
DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600
$49.95
Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS
$184.99