Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Removing Desktop Icons?

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    16

    Removing Desktop Icons?

    I want to remove the HD, floppy and CD icons from the desktop of a remaster. I got rid of the INDEX page loading but I am not finding how to get rid of the icon loading. Suggestions?

    Richard-

    PS...thanks for the help so far...I REALLY AM getting this down....(I think?).

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    The script /usr/bin/mkdesktophdicons is what creates them. Either remove the script or edit /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession and remove the line that calls that script.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    16
    Thanks...I'm doing it now....Richard-

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    16
    OK...finished...REMed out all the MKDESKTOPICONS in /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession and work perfectly...Oh, I did have to remove the Icons that were left over on the desktop but once gone they did not reappear....Thanks again!

    Richard-

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Quote Originally Posted by richardljohnson
    OK...finished...REMed out all the MKDESKTOPICONS in /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession and work perfectly...Oh, I did have to remove the Icons that were left over on the desktop but once gone they did not reappear....Thanks again!

    Richard-
    REM? lol
    Longtime DOS user?

    In Linux we say 'comment' Glad you got it working.

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    16
    OK..is it dir or ls...or mem or free...I'M SO CONFUSED!!!!!!!!!

    Yes, sorry, some old habbits die hard....BUT I'M TRYING!!!!!!

    Richard-

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by mzilikazi
    The script /usr/bin/mkdesktophdicons is what creates them. Either remove the script or edit /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession and remove the line that calls that script.
    I'm trying to disable the mkdesktophdicons script too, running a hd-installed knoppix 3.6 version. however I cannot find this 45xsession file, and in none of the files in the Xsession.d directory the mkdesktophdicons script is being called. Any suggestions?

    I 'lessed' myself through a bunch of scripts (hmm.. probably 'lessed' is not proper linux-speak - correct me when I'm wrong) and found that the script is being called in the /etc/init.d/knoppix-hd-autoconfig script. Is it 'save' and 'clean' to comment it out there?

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Quote Originally Posted by dertien
    I'm trying to disable the mkdesktophdicons script too, running a hd-installed knoppix 3.6 version. however I cannot find this 45xsession file, and in none of the files in the Xsession.d directory the mkdesktophdicons script is being called. Any suggestions?
    45xsession is deleted during the installation process

    I 'lessed' myself through a bunch of scripts (hmm.. probably 'lessed' is not proper linux-speak - correct me when I'm wrong) and found that the script is being called in the /etc/init.d/knoppix-hd-autoconfig script. Is it 'save' and 'clean' to comment it out there?
    Code:
    /usr/bin/mkdesktophdicons
    is the script. Is it safe to remove? Well I don't use it.

  9. #9
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    16
    Here is a transcript from some note I made....

    To remove ICONS from desktop
    a.{root@tty1} editor /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession
    b.rem (#) out mkdesktopicons where ever it is in this file (I found starting around line 374-576…this can also be edited in the GUI of ROOT or SYSTEM. NOTE: /usr/bin/mkdesktopicons is the code that does this. It may also be possible to remove this but I found it easier to just REM out the call for this.
    c.REMEMBER: You must also login as user and physically remove the icons which have already been created. Then log out then log back in to check to make sure icons do not show back up.

    ALSO...

    Go into /usr/bin/mkdesktopicons and change it to oldmkdesktopicons
    Remove the floppy desk icons from the /etc/skelDesktop


    Hope this helps...

    Richard-

Similar Threads

  1. Removing Desktop Drive Icons / Saving Changes
    By marilbil in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-24-2005, 03:40 AM
  2. desktop icons
    By michael7 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-07-2005, 05:26 AM
  3. Desktop icons
    By oldgeezer in forum General Support
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-24-2004, 06:46 AM
  4. kde icons missing after removing server progs
    By akcs in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-26-2003, 09:14 AM
  5. Where do the desktop icons go?
    By skyconcert in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-20-2002, 05:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch  W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords picture

Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords

$205.00



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New picture

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New

$101.99



Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch picture

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch

$439.00



New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US picture

New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US

$17.00



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



Cisco C9300-48UXM-A Switch 9300 Series 48-port UPoE Network picture

Cisco C9300-48UXM-A Switch 9300 Series 48-port UPoE Network

$874.99



Cisco C3850-NM-2-40G Cisco Catalyst 3850 2x40GE Network Module- Fast Shipping picture

Cisco C3850-NM-2-40G Cisco Catalyst 3850 2x40GE Network Module- Fast Shipping

$269.00



nxa-pac-750w-pe v02 NEW OPEN BOX for Cisco Nexus 9300 Series power supply picture

nxa-pac-750w-pe v02 NEW OPEN BOX for Cisco Nexus 9300 Series power supply

$200.00